As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a wonderful make-ahead meal that is perfect for breakfast! It’s also easy to make gluten-free too.
One of my favorites when it comes to breakfast are delicious casseroles, even better when they can be prepped ahead. This one is perfect as we head into the holidays for Christmas morning or to make on a busy weekend.
This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a wonderful option for breakfast and it’s easy to make naturally gluten-free too.
How do you make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole into a gluten-free casserole?
This delicious casserole is easy to make gluten-free by simply being sure all your ingredients are in fact gluten-free. These are all naturally gluten-free ingredients, but as always you want to double-check when you purchase ingredients.
The one thing we find that isn’t always gluten-free are tater tots; however, you can easily find ones that are. We typically use Ore-Ida Tater Tots and those do say they are gluten-free; however, as always check your ingredients first.
How do you make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole ahead?
This casserole can be prepped ahead, go ahead and prepare the entire dish as instructed, but do not bake it. Be sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.
When you are ready to bake it, go ahead and let it sit out for about 20-30 minutes and then bake per the recipe instructions.
Tips for Making Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole:
A few other tips to make this process very quickly, prepare the sausage, bacon, and peppers ahead. This could even mean cooking them ahead and then freezing until you are ready to serve. There are a variety of ways to cut down on prep time for this recipe.
I’ve found the easiest way to do it is to prepare the night before and then bake in the morning.
If you want to skip all the work altogether, go for a recipe that is made in the crockpot such as this Crockpot Breakfast Casserole.
This tater tot breakfast casserole is a wonderful go-to for our holiday breakfast and I’m sure it’ll be loved by your family too!
- 1 Lb Breakfast Sausage
- 1/2 Pound (5 Slices) Bacon
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Red Bell Pepper, Cleaned & Diced
- 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Cleaned & Diced
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Reserve 1/2 Cup
- 1 Cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Bag (32oz) Frozen Tater Tots
- Green Onions or Chives for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a heavy skillet on the stovetop, cook the sausage, drain, and set aside.
- Cook the bacon and remove it from the pan, set on the cutting board.
- Drain pan and wipe clean.
- Add oil to pan and heat.
- Cook peppers until soft, remove from pan, and drain if necessary.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add milk, 1 1/2 cups cheddar and swiss cheeses and seasonings, whisk until well combined.
- Stir in peppers, sausage, and bacon.
- Pour into a prepared 9x13 baking dish.
- Top evenly with tater tots.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until bubbly and eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and add the additional 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Return to baking for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven to a wire rack and set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
This can be made ahead and prepared, cover it tightly with plastic, and store in the fridge overnight.
To Bake - Remove from the fridge and set on counter 20-30 minutes, then cook as directed in the recipe.
You can also cook the sausage, bacon, and peppers ahead of time to make assembly go faster.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 257mgSodium: 850mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 24g