As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
It’s the start of summer and that means almost all of us will be grilling. I think you should add these Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers to your list.
Chicken Skewers have quickly become a favorite in our household especially for my son. He gets ecstatic when I telling him we are having them for dinner.
Last month we tried the Teriyaki Chicken Skewers but this month I thought I would switch it up with Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers.
Now, maybe I’m biased but I actually thought this was some of the best chicken I have had! It was so full of flavor.
We were able to make this naturally gluten-free, which is even better. Plus, you can also use garden-fresh peppers too!
I love being able to go right out to the garden and pick the peppers, which we do in the summer.
If that isn’t an option though, they are so inexpensive at the store, it’s a very frugal meal.
How do you make Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers?
Now, for this recipe I was able to get the ingredients for this dish and including the chicken for less than $10.
Plus, I was able to use many of the ingredients more than once, like the sugar for instance.
I also used the peppers in another recipe too. I love that you get so much for so little, one of my favorite things to buy there is the baking products.
Once I had my ingredients, I was ready to make the sauce which is the key to this recipe. I carefully put the chicken on sticks and then coated them with the sauce.
While grilling, each time I turned the chicken, we added another layer of sauce. I pour part of the sauce in a small dish to use for the coating and then put the rest in a mason jar to save for later. This way it avoids any cross contamination.
Once you have them completed, you will have a leftover sauce that you can use for dipping or you can save it for another meal.
It’s time to try these Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers.
- 6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 6 Skewer Sticks
- 1 Cup Pineapple Chunks & Juice
- 1 Green Pepper, Diced
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove, Crushed
- 1 3/4 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Distilled Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- Begin by preparing the skewer sticks, add the pepper, onion and pineapple to each stick then carefully place the chicken on the sticks, then additional pepper, onion, and pineapple.
- Warm up the olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan on medium-high heat, add in the garlic clove, 1 1/2 Cups water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and the reserved pineapple juice.
- Let this warm up to a boil, then whisk in the ketchup, 1/4 cup water, and cornstarch.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the sauce into a small bowl and reserve the rest.
- Brush the sauce over the chicken and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- While it is sitting, warm the grill up to medium-high heat.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook on both sides for about 10-15 minutes, when rotating them add additional sauce. They should be 165* internally before eating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 28g