It’s the unofficial start to summer this weekend and that means almost all of us will be grilling. I think you should add these Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers to your list, plus save on them by shopping at ALDI! This is a sponsored post; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Chicken Skewers have quickly become a favorite in our household especially for my son. He gets ecstatic when I telling him we are having them for dinner. Last month we tried the Teriyaki Chicken Skewers but this month I thought I would switch it up with Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers.
Now, maybe I’m biased but I actually thought this was some of the best chicken I have had! It was so full of flavor. We picked up all our ingredients at ALDI, which made for a naturally gluten-free dinner too. Have you seen how many gluten-free products are available at ALDI now? I recently started shopping their weekly because my son, who is gluten-free, started eating us out of the house. I rarely eat snack foods but he snacks all the time and I knew that come summer our grocery budget would be doomed at this rate.
That was until I discovered all the gluten-free product at ALDI. We literally pick up just about one of everything. His favorite are the cheese crackers and I love the mac & cheese, plus they have nuggets too! My kids are so thrilled and my pocketbook is happy too. That’s a win around here.
Now, for this recipe I was able to get the ingredients for this dish and including the chicken at ALDI for less than $10. Plus, I was able to use many of the ingredients more than once, like the sugar for instance. I also used the peppers in another recipe too. I love that you get so much for so little, one of my favorite things to buy there is the baking products.
Once I had my ingredients, I was ready to make the sauce which is the key to this recipe. I carefully put the chicken on sticks and then coated them with the sauce. While grilling, each time I turned the chicken, we added another layer of sauce. I pour part of the sauce in a small dish to use for the coating and then put the rest in a mason jar to save for later. This way it avoids any cross contamination.
Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers
- 6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 6 Skewer Sticks
- 1 Cup Pineapple Chunks & Juice
- 1 Green Pepper, Diced
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove, Crushed
- 1 3/4 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Distilled Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- Begin by preparing the skewer sticks, add the pepper, onion and pineapple to each stick then carefully place the chicken on the sticks, then additional pepper, onion, and pineapple.
- Warm up the olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan on medium-high heat, add in the garlic clove, 1 1/2 Cups water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and the reserved pineapple juice.
- Let this warm up to a boil, then whisk in the ketchup, 1/4 cup water, and cornstarch.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the sauce into a small bowl and reserve the rest.
- Brush the sauce over the chicken and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- While it is sitting, warm the grill up to medium-high heat.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook on both sides for about 10-15 minutes, when rotating them add additional sauce. They should be 165* internally before eating.
Once you have them completed, you will have leftover sauce that you can use for dipping or you can save it for another meal.
Now, are you ready for Memorial Day? It’s time to try these Sweet and Sour Chicken Skewers, plus head to ALDI and stock up. They have great deals going on just in time for Memorial Day. I am heading there tomorrow to stock up for our road trip!
Enjoy!We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.Disclaimer: This post contains links to products that I recommend. Many of those links may be affiliate links. In using those links, it does support the ongoing post and recipes shared on this website.