If you love stuffed peppers in general, you’ll love these stuffed chicken peppers too. This mouth-watering classic is a comforting and filling any-time dinner.
What is one food my husband just hands down loves? Stuffed peppers!
In the past, we’ve had them in a variety of ways…including our favorite, Mexi stuffed peppers!
It’s even more of a favorite when our freezer is packed full of bell peppers straight from our garden!
Those deliciously fresh bell peppers are perfectly stuffed full of goodness and topped with homemade salsa.
However, this isn’t about the Mexi stuffed peppers, but an amazing variation: stuffed chicken peppers!
We decided to make the stuffed peppers recipe a little bit healthier this time and use shredded chicken instead of ground beef.
You could also make this with ground chicken or turkey as well.
Prepping this recipe is super easy. You’ll simply cook the chicken in a skillet or slow cooker, then shred it. Once the chicken is shredded, return it to the skillet and prepare the taco seasoning as instructed on the package.
After that, you’ve got chicken ready for stuffing peppers!
We had quite a bit left over, so we used it throughout the week for nachos and burritos, too. The chicken stuffing can also be batch cooked and then stored in the freezer for quick meals.
Are you hungry yet? I am STARVING for one of these now! I drizzle mine with salsa to give it more flavor and then go to town…it’s delicious!
Stuffed Chicken Peppers: FAQs
If you had any questions about this recipe, check this section and I may have answered them already!
Remember, this chicken is made using the recipe for Salsa Chicken. I make this in the Ninja Foodi, but it can also be made in the slow cooker per the instructions in the recipe card.
How many chicken stuffed peppers does this recipe make?
This recipe will make enough for 6 large peppers; however, I typically use 4 and then save the remaining stuffing for nachos and burritos later.
What additions do you recommend?
This is another one of those recipes that’s wonderful because of its versatility. You can make it for anyone’s taste! Try…
- Spices like cumin, paprika, or chili powder
- Yellow or red onions
- Fresh garlic or garlic powder
- Black beans
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Herbs like parsley or cilantro (though I know cilantro is a little controversial!)
What substitutions do you recommend?
If you’d like to experiment with this recipe, try…
- Quinoa or riced cauliflower instead of rice
- If you already have leftover chicken (especially rotisserie chicken) use that
- Salsa verde instead of red salsa
What sides do you recommend with these stuffed chicken peppers?
I like to serve these with a light salad like my easy cucumber salad or some additional veggies like roasted cauliflower.
Did you enjoy these chicken stuffed peppers?
They’re a slightly healthier twist on the classic stuffed peppers recipe, and when you end up with leftovers…wonderful! You have more meals for the future!
Stuffed Chicken Peppers
How to Make Salsa Chicken:
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast or Thighs
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 2 Cups Salsa
- 6 Bell Peppers (Any Color)
- 1 Cup Prepared Salsa Chicken
- 1 Cup Cooked White Rice
- 1 Cup Black Beans (Rinsed and Drained)
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Cotija Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400*F when you are ready to make the peppers. See below for the instructions for the Salsa Chicken.
- Cut of tops of peppers and clean them well.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked chicken, cooked rice, and black beans.
- Fill each of the peppers with the stuffing and place them in a bowl or pan that will hold them to fit in the oven.
- Bake at 400*F for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the peppers and top with the Mexican and Cotija cheese, then bake for 2-5 minutes until it's melted.
To Make Salsa Chicken:
- If making in the slow cooker, place the chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker pot, top it evenly with taco seasoning and then pour the salsa over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, then shred the chicken and move on to the pepper instructions.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking
Comments & Reviews
LeAnn Alexander says
When you put the rice in, is it already cooked? These look great! Also, when you say you have peppers in the freezer – are you just freezing the peppers whole? In gallon freezer bags? Wrapped in seran wrap or ?
Kristy Still says
Yes it is cooked already. We do freeze them whole in gallon freezer bags, it works great!
Lisa @ Flour Me With Love says
I don’t care for stuffed beef peppers and this is perfect!!! I can’t wait to try this…thanks 🙂
I used brown rice, didn’t have corn so used peas and didn’t have taco seasoning so I made my own, completely improvised because I wanted to try what seems to be a solid recipe. The stuffing taste great, and it is in the oven now finishing off, can’t wait. 🙂
I hope you enjoyed them! I love mixing up the stuffing in peppers. One of my favorite meals to make!