Steak & Veggie Skillet
As the garden is bursting with produce it’s time for easy pantry meals that use up what we have in the garden. That is exactly how this meal came about.
It could likely be a stir fry, which it basically is; however, I left this light and up for lots of creativity and adaptation!
My husband keeps coming in with more produce which has included tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, squash, and onions. So, I decided to chop all that up and add a little olive oil and garlic then mix it with cooked thin steak to make the perfect Steak & Veggie Skillet! The flavor is light since essentially it is only garlic and olive oil; however, you can add a little bit of your favorite vinaigrette dressing to it for a little more flavor.
I enjoyed eating it as is though as all those flavors from the produce were just enough for me!
Fresh produce is just about my favorite food product around! For instance, tomatoes…I normally do not eat those just by themselves but when they come straight out of the garden, I can eat them like candy!
As a kid, my parents had a huge garden and they had a plethora of green onions and tomatoes. I remember getting up in the middle of the night and just eating green onions! You know what I did though? I dipped them in peanut butter. I have no idea why…really what was I thinking? They must of been good though because I remember doing it all the time.
Now the thought makes me cringe!
Back to the point though, I never would of eaten onions or tomatoes without being cooked in something before but they were so delicious, I would make tomato sandwiches daily with nothing but a little mayo and tomato!
So, the sky is the limit on this dish but it is one of the best pantry meals around, why? I purchased the steak on sale for $3.69! Then, I used all fresh produce…so very inexpensive and served 4! Score!
Steak & Veggie Skillet
- 1 Lb Thin Sirloin Steak (or Flank)
- 1 Cucumber, Diced
- 1 Yellow Squash, Diced
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1 Green Pepper, Diced
- 1 White Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Crushed Garlic, Divided
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, Divided
- Cooked Rice (Optional)
- Begin by adding 1 Tbsp of oil and 1 clove crushed garlic to a skillet.
- Let this warm up in the skillet on medium heat.
- As this is warming thinly slice the steak in strips against the grain.
- Place steak in the oily skillet, be careful as the oil may pop as you put the steak in. It would be best to turn down the heat when you add it.
- Let this cook until your desired cook preference.
- Once the steak is done set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Next, add in the remaining oil and garlic plus your veggies. Let these cook until done which is about 10-15 minutes then add in the steak and toss together.
- Serve over cooked rice with a light vinaigrette dressing or sauce of your choice.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.