Make these easy, tasty Gluten-Free Sour Cream Enchiladas in less than 30 minutes!
Sour Cream Enchiladas are a wonderful quick dinner. These are great paired with a side of rice and corn or any other vegetable.
If you need something even easier check out these Air Fryer Enchiladas too, you’ll enjoy them as well!
What sauce do you use for Sour Cream Enchiladas?
Sour Cream Enchiladas are typically going to be made with a white sauce that uses milk, sour cream, and flour.
In this case, I use gluten-free all-purpose flour.
If you are in a hurry though, you can always use a red enchilada sauce as well, but for this recipe, we will be using a white sour cream sauce.
What tortillas do you use for enchiladas?
This recipe is made with 6-inch white corn tortillas; however, you can also use flour if you prefer.
If you use white corn tortillas, these need to be warmed up either on the stovetop or in the microwave for 30 seconds to make them pliable.
If you skip this step, then the tortillas will rip or tear.
Tips for Making Sour Cream Enchiladas:
These enchiladas are very mild if you want them to be more spicy use extra cayenne pepper or red pepper.
The Rotel can also be purchased spicy as well instead of mild.
As far as cheese goes, I highly recommend buying a block of cheese and shredding it by hand at home. The already shredded cheese at the store does not melt like the blocks of cheese will.
We like to use a combination of sharp cheddar cheese and Monterey jack cheese. This gives a great flavor to the dish.
When preparing the filling, adding the taco seasoning is what is going to give the chicken its flavor along with the sour cream. This can also be store-bought or use 2 TBSP of Homemade Taco Seasoning.
These Sour Cream Enchiladas are easy to make gluten-free with corn tortillas and gluten-free all-purpose flour; however, always check all ingredients first before using them.
Enjoy these Easy Gluten-Free Sour Cream Enchiladas!
Sour Cream Enchiladas
- 1 1/2 Lbs Chicken Breast Cooked and Shredded (About 2 Cups)
- 1 10oz Can of Rotel with Green Chilies Drained
- 1 1/2 Cups Sour Cream
- 4 Green Onions Diced
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Chopped
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning or Gluten-Free Taco Seasonings
- 12-14 Corn Tortillas or Flour Tortillas *See Note*
- 1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
Sauce *See Note*
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 3 Tbsp Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350*.
- Using cooked and shredded chicken, add it to a bowl along with drained Rotel, sour cream, green onions, cilantro, and taco seasoning. Mix this up well until the chicken is fully coated.
- Next using a small skillet warm up the corn tortillas for 2-3 minutes to make them more pliable to use. If you are using flour tortillas, then you do not need to warm them up first. The number of tortillas needed will vary depending on the size and type you are using.
- Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture, then fold them and place seam side down on a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Once you have repeated this for the remaining tortillas.
- Using a small saucepan, add the milk and sour cream to the saucepan to begin. making the sauce. Warm this up to medium-high heat.
- As soon as it starts to boil, carefully lower the heat and whisk in the flour along with with the onion powder and garlic powder. Whisk until it's thickened.
- Once all tortillas are in the baking dish, carefully pour the white sauce over the tortillas evenly.
- Top with the cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350*F for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove and let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.