Although the event we attended was all about ribs, it was also all about BBQ sauce and marinades! I was able to attend with several bloggers along with Collective Bias, we had a great time and the opportunity to meet a contestant right here from Oklahoma!
She shared with us all sorts of cooking tips and how to get the best flavors using the different marinades and spices. She even mentioned that she has typically always made her own BBQ sauce but that she has been won over by the Kraft BBQ sauces because they are so full of flavor and delicious! I have to agree with her, I was impressed with the flavor I chose for our Smoked Turkey Legs!
We also peaked into another kitchen to see another contestant prepping his ribs for the big contest! He was hard at work! The smell of all this food was absolutely amazing! After all the contestants prepared their ribs then it was time to be judged and win a prize!
All this BBQ talk had me inspired to make something with Kraft BBQ Sauce! I picked up the Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce to whip up some Smoked Turkey Legs.
Our state fair was just a few weeks ago and smoked turkey legs is all that I have been craving; however, we never made it to the fair! That meant I never got those turkey legs, so I opted for the next best thing…homemade! I’ll go out on a limb and say that I think they tasted far better than the state fair legs, maybe I’m just biased.
I started out making a brown sugar rub and coating the legs, then I poured on the BBQ sauce!
Of course we also had to add some more BBQ sauce, because it was just necessary! I’m a firm believer in the more the better!
So far, the Hickory Smoke sauce was my favorite for these Smoked Turkey Legs. I think that it just brought out a more full flavor from the wood smoked taste of the legs.
Enjoy this delicious recipe! Also, be sure and check out my entire trip and experience in my Google + Album including picture from the live band too! Join us on Twitter at #DibsonMyRibs!
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Kraft #CBias #SocialFabric” All thoughts, opinions, pictures, and recipe are my own.
Smoked Turkey Legs
- 1 Package of Turkey Legs Ours were 2.5 Lbs, 3 Legs
- BBQ Sauce
- Brown Sugar Rub:
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
- Any Additional Spices you prefer
- Place the turkey legs aside with the bbq sauce.
- Combine the brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, paprika, pepper and chili powder into a small bowl.
- Mix it together to create the rub.
- Pat it all over the defrosted turkey legs.
- Next slather a good amount of BBQ sauce over the turkey legs.
- At this point, smoke the turkey legs about 240* for 2-2 1/2 hours. We smoked ours until the internal temperature reached 165*. This can take up to 3 hours.
- Half way through the smoking time, brush on more sauce.
- Wrap up with foil and serve!