As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Make delicious smoked pulled pork right out on your pellet grill with this easy recipe!
Last year, we decided to invest in a new smoker, we ended up buying a Green Mountain Pellet Grill, we have been using it nonstop ever since! It’s also good to note, this isn’t sponsored in any way either, just wanted to share which one we use.
If there is anything I’ve found to be true, it’s that choosing the right sauce and seasoning is vital to making the best-pulled pork.
Tips for Making Smoked Pulled Pork:
This smoked pulled pork starts out with a rub that you will add to the pulled pork prior to placing it on the smoker.
The base of this rub is the yellow mustard that will be applied to the pork prior to adding the rub on it. Yellow Mustard creates a nice outer layer to the pulled pork, it can even give it a smoky flavor too.
We use this as a base for just about any recipe we do now as it really adds a great flavor to the smoked meats.
If you prefer, you can slather on some barbecue sauce while it’s smoking as well toward the last 1-2 hours of the cooking time. We typically wait and add it when serving instead.
I prefer Head Country barbecue sauce, but you can use any that you prefer.
How long to do you cook smoked pulled pork?
This pulled pork can and likely will take up to 5 hours at 225*F, remember this is cooked low and slow.
We have found that it comes down to about 1 – 1 1/2 hours per pound to cook on the smoker. The internal temperature needs to be at least 145*F to be considered done; however, if you want to shred it easily let that get up to 195*F.
It’s time to enjoy this delicious Smoked Pulled Pork, be sure to also check out this Smoked Bologna too.
- 3-4 LB Pork Butt Roast or Shoulder (Bone-In or Boneless)
- 2 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar, Packed
- 3 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1-2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tsp Ground Mustard
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Begin by preparing your pellet grill and warm it up to 225*F.
- Coat the pork with the mustard, start with 2 Tbsp add more if needed to fully coat your pork.
- After this is done, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, crushed pepper, ground mustard, and garlic powder.
- Then, coat the pork with a dry rub.
- Once down place the pork onto the smoker, using a probe if needed from your pellet grill.
- Cook for 4-5 hours at 225*F, in the last hour or so, you can increase the temp to 240*F.
- The pork is done at an internal temperature of 145*F; however, you will want to get it up to 195*F to have that easy, shredded pork.
- Remove, shred with 2 forks and serve once the temperature is reached.
- Pair with your favorite Head Country Barbecue Sauce or other Sauce.
This rub is magic on this pulled pork, we also always use Head Country Sauce to serve it with.
Remember to prepare the pellet grill per the instructions of your pellet grill with pellets, we preferred a mixed variety of pellets for this particular meat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1236Total Fat: 86gSaturated Fat: 32gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 46gCholesterol: 390mgSodium: 915mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 105g
This is going to vary depending on size of meat.