Make a great side dish on the pellet grill with Smoked Mashed Potatoes!
When smoking mashed potatoes, you will basically be making the mashed potatoes and then placing the prepared mashed potatoes on the smoker to warm up and turn them into more of a casserole consistency.
We have found these are great to smoke when you are smoking other meats and can have them going at the same time, which gives you a fantastic side dish.
How long does it take to smoke mashed potatoes?
These will first be boiled and cooked on the stove, then transferred to a cast iron dish.
These can also be done in an aluminum pan that is safe for the smoker.
Once you have the prepared potatoes in the dish, then these will smoke low at 225*F for 45 minutes and after the 45 minutes, the temperature will be increased to 350*F for 20-30 minutes.
At that point, the potatoes should be browned and bubbly.
What pellet flavor should be used for Smoked Mashed Potatoes?
We almost always use a variety blend of flavors; however, using mesquite is also a good option.
The flavor will enhance the taste of the potatoes.
Tips for Making Smoked Mashed Potatoes:
This works best with Yukon Gold Potatoes. We leave the skin on the potatoes, but do wash and cut them before boiling.
Using kosher salt is a great way to enhance the flavor while the potatoes are boiling.
Remember to use a cast iron skillet or high-heat aluminum pan to spread the potatoes in. This dish will make it similar to a potato casserole, perfect for serving alongside smoked meats.
Pellet Grill Smoked Mashed Potatoes
- 3 Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (unpeeled, washed and cut)
- 1 Tbsp Kosher Coarse Salt
- 1 Cup Butter, Softened
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Crispy Bacon Pieces
- Shredded Cheese
- Green Onions
- Wash and cut the potatoes if needed.
- Add potatoes to a large saucepan, cover with water and 1 Tbsp salt.
- Boil the potatoes until fork-tender on medium-high heat about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain water and then place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash them until you reached your desired consistency.
- Add butter, heavy cream, and sour cream. Fold into mashed potatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer potatoes to a cast iron skillet and spread evenly.
- Preheat the pellet grill to 225*F.
- Smoked for 30-45 minutes, increase the temperature to 350*F, and smoke for an additional 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
- Serve warm.