As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
As the heat continues to soar here in Oklahoma, my slow cooker is getting a lot more use than normal. I have been trying to avoid turning on the oven as it seems that close to dinner time the house is hottest and then kicking on the oven just makes it worse.
Then, I had an idea or maybe I should say a craving for chili dogs. I thought that sounded perfect because I could use the slow cooker for the chili and the hot dogs! Brilliant!
I started off by making a batch of my Slow Cooker Chili, then about 3 hours before we were ready to eat I used a smaller slow cooker and added the hot dogs to it. This is one of the easiest ways to cook hot dogs, simply add them to the slow cooker without any juice or water and let them cook on low for 3 hours or you can cook them on high for 1 hour. It gives them that slow roasted taste without any work!
Enjoy this easy meal!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
- Slow Cooker Chili:
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 16 oz Cans of Bush’s Chili Beans
- 1 14.5 oz Can of Beef Broth
- 1 10 oz Can of Rotel or Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Tsp Minced Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Cup of Ketchup
- Hot Dogs:
- 1 Package of Hot Dogs
- 1 Package Hot Dog Buns, or Udi's Gluten Free Hot Dog Buns.
- Shredded Cheese
- Mustard, Optional
- Ketchup, Optional
- Begin by making the slow cooker chili:
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet. In this case, I used precooked ground beef that I had in the freezer.
- Then, add all ingredients in the slow cooker. This should cook on low for 4 hours. Note- It is done in 4 hours; however, many times I leave it on low for 8 hours and it turns out the same.
- When you are within 3 hours of eating, add the hot dogs to small slow cooker and cook those on low for 3 hours or on high for 1 hour. These do not need any juice or water.
- Once the hot dogs and chili are done, place the hot dog on the bun and top with chili. Then add the ketchup or mustard and shredded cheese.