Make a tasty, brothy soup with this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup!
When it gets cold outside a tasty soup is just the thing to warm you up! This particular soup is a brothy base, so if you prefer a creamy soup be sure to check out this Ninja Foodi Chicken Enchilada Soup.
This particular soup is one that I made many, many years ago and it’s been a go-to over the years when someone is under the weather or just craving something light and warm. It’s also easy to customize too.
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup:
This soup is completely made in the slow cooker; however, be sure to plan to be near throughout the day to shred the chicken and then add in the rice just before the cooking time is complete.
Be sure to read the recipe instructions clearly because the rice must be added in the final 30 minutes of cook time or it will overcook. After 4 hours of cooking, the chicken will be ready to shred and an additional can of broth will be added at that time.
Once that’s done, the rice will be added within the last 30 minutes along with the juice from a lime. The lime juice will enhance the flavor and give it more zest. The rice needs to be added 30 minutes before serving, do not add it sooner or let it sit and cook longer than that or the rice will soak up all the liquid.
What should you serve Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with?
This soup is best served with tortilla strips, we prefer to use these Texas Toast Tortilla Strips, which as of late have been marked gluten-free on the package. As always, be sure to check before consuming if gluten-free is a need.
It’s also good topped with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and cilantro. It can really be dressed up to your personal preference.
Another thing we like to do is drain out the liquid of the soup and use it to put inside of tortillas and make burritos with it too.
Now, are you ready for a great pantry-style soup? It’s time to serve up a bowl!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 14 oz Can of Chicken Broth Divided
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 14.5 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 2 Cups Frozen Corn
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 Large Chicken Breast Uncooked
- 1/2 Cup White Rice
- 1 Lime
- Tortilla Strips
- Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- In the slow cooker or crockpot, add in 1 can of broth, water, diced tomatoes, frozen corn, cumin, chili powder, and garlic clove.
- Place the uncooked chicken breast right on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred, then return to the slow cooker. This can also be done in the slow cooker if preferred too, use 2 forks to shred the chicken.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and add the additional can of chicken broth.
- Cook an additional 2 hours.
- In the final 30 minutes of cooking time – Note – do not add this until it’s 30 minutes before serving, if you add in the rice before the final 30 minutes it will soak up all the liquid. Add in the rice and juice from a lime mixing it in well, do this 30 minutes before you are ready to serve. Cover and complete cooking.
- Serve with tortilla strips, cheese, sour cream, and/or cilantro.