Slow Cooker days are my favorite in our household, especially on busy weekends. This dish was perfect for us over the weekend when we were packed full with events and I was trying to avoid having to be home in time to cook dinner.
Meatballs are a favorite of mine to do in the slow cooker because you can make so many meals out of them. They can easily be served on subs, with pasta, or even plain with some sides. The day we made these meatballs, I decided it was a sub kind of evening! Note if you are gluten free, these are just as tasty without the sub and made with gluten free breadcrumbs, which is how I eat them.
Enjoy this easy and family friendly meal!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Slow Cooker BBQ Meatball Subs
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 2 Egg Whites
- 3 Tbsp Minced Onion
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Cup Plain Breadcrumbs
- Homemade BBQ Sauce:
- 1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Sage I used about 1 Tsp of dried Sage
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Celery Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Tabasco
- 1 1/2 C Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
- Hoagie Rolls
- Shaved Swiss Cheese Optional
Begin by making the BBQ Sauce:
- Simply combine all the ingredients into a small saucepan and cook on medium heat. This will cook until the brown sugar has completely melted. Typically this just takes about 5-10 minutes.
Make the Meatballs:
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients in order together, do not add the sauce, then form balls. I use an ice cream scoop to form the meatballs as it's about the size you will want them to be.
- Next spray your slow cooker with a good coat of non stick spray and place the meatballs in the slow cooker.
- Pour the 1 cup of the homemade bbq sauce over them and let them cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Serve these meatballs on top of hoagie rolls with some shaved swiss cheese and top with additional BBQ sauce.