As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Reduced Sugar Old Fashioned Carrot Cake is a delicious lower sugar alternative for dessert.
Disclosure: This post is part of the SPLENDA® Brand Sweet Life blogger program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
Does your family have a signature dish that always graces the table in the spring? Our family seems to have a hankering for carrot cake in the spring especially for family dinners. Thankfully, I have a favorite carrot cake recipe in our family, but the only downside is several of my family members need foods with lower sugar.
That is where SPLENDA® came to my rescue! Did you know they have a sugar blend that significantly lowers the amount of sugar but works wonderfully for baking? I recently tried it in this carrot cake and it was delightful!
I was pretty ecstatic that all my family members could enjoy it with ease too. I even used the SPLENDA® recipe for powdered sugar to make the cream cheese icing.
Although, I adapted my recipe to use SPLENDA®, I needed to change up a few things when making it which included adding an extra egg, it allows the cake to be more moist. The first time I made it with less eggs and it was a big of a sticky mess, adding the egg brought this cake up to perfection and it tasted very similar to the full sugar cake.
On the back of the package of the Sugar Blend, you will find a very simple conversion table to show exactly the amount of sugar blend you will need to replace the sugar amount. Then, for the icing I used the Granulated Sugar and a food processor to make it thin enough to form powdered sugar consistency.
Are you ready for a delicious slice of carrot cake this spring? It’s time to enjoy a slice and remember you can make these into cupcakes too!
Remember to join us March 31st at 1PM EST for a #SweetSwaps Twitter Party! Lots of great tips and recipes will be shared!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
- 3/4 Cup Sugar Blend
- 1 Cup Oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Hot Water
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Grated Carrots
- 1 Cup Black Walnuts
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Unsalted
- 1 8 oz Package of Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 3 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar, RECIPE HERE
- 1 Cup Black Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- Grease 2 9inch round pans.
- Mix the cake ingredients in order, folding in the carrots and the walnuts.
- Pour 1/2 the batter in one pan and the rest in the other pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350* or until poked with a toothpick in the deepest part it comes out clean.
- Set them aside for 1-2 hours to let them cool completely.
- To make the icing, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add in the vanilla and sugar, folding in the walnuts.
- Release the cakes from the pans then top one with a portion of the icing and set the other on top of it. Continue icing the cakes and garnish with extra walnuts or shaved carrot. Garnish with cinnamon if preferred.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.