This past week, I remade an old favorite of mine, Baked Cheesy Penne. This time though instead of penne I used spiral pasta. I immediately thought I should be making this more often because my entire family absolutely loves it! I loved the addition of the spirals because it reminded me more of a pasta salad although it is a baked dish.
I decided after using this recipe with spirals, Red and White Pasta Bake seemed like a more fitting name. This is very versatile and can be made with ground turkey, chicken, or beef. It also makes a large amount so it’s perfect for large families or to have leftovers!
If you are gluten free, I made this with Tinkyada pasta and Better Batter All Purpose Gluten Free Flour.
Red and White Pasta Bake
- 16 oz Box of Spiral Pasta or your favorite pasta, if GF I use Tinkyada
- 1 Tbsp of Butter
- 1/2 Tsp of Basil
- 1/2 Tsp of Parsley
- 1/2 Tsp of Garlic Salt
- 1/4 Cup of Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- 1 Cup of Skim Milk
- 1/3 Cup of All White Egg Substitute
- 1-2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 26 oz Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Cook the pasta as directed, once drained mix the egg whites and the pasta in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, fully cook the ground beef. Once fully cooked mix in with the noodles.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter, adding in the basil, parsley, garlic salt, flour, water, and milk.
- Continue to stir these ingredients until they are in a smooth consistency.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray, then pour the noodle mixture in the bottom of the dish. Spoon the white sauce mixture over the top of the noodles, then cover with the spaghetti sauce. Finally top it off with cheese.
- Bake this in the oven for 20 minutes.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.