Use your pellet grill or smoker to make a great side dish with these Smoked Potato Skins!
It’s time to take those appetizers up a notch with the help of your smoker or pellet grill then make these Smoked Potato Skins!
These potato skins are hot and crispy with a satisfying cheesy flavor and filling. All you need are a few ingredients along with your favorite Pellet Grill!
If you are looking for the Air Fryer version, try these Air Fryer Potato Skins!
What temperature do you cook smoked potato skins?
On the pellet grill, preheat it to 250*F while you get the potatoes prepared. Once your potatoes are washed and seasoned, then you will place them directly on the grill for 2 hours at 250*F.
After the initial 2 hours, then you will scoop out the inside of the potato and add a few simple ingredients to make potato skins. At that point, the grill will temperature will be increased to 400*F.
So there will be two temperatures that you will have to use on the grill for this process.
Tips for making Pellet Grill Smoked Potato Skins:
After the 2 hours of initial smoking, the potatoes need to be fork tender to easily slice and remove the flesh from the inside of the potato.
Once that is done, you can set the flesh aside and add the cheese to the potato.
The flesh can be used for other recipes if you do not want to simply toss it.
It’s best to use a block of cheese and shred it yourself so that it melts best. If you use pre-shredded cheese, it has an additive that keeps it from sticking the bag, which makes it harder to get it to melt.
What can you use the flesh of the potato for?
The inside or flesh of the potato can be used for a variety of other recipes including:
With your Pellet Grill, you can make the best potato skins that bring any get-together to a new level. Pair them with a rack of Smoked Baby Back Ribs to make the meal complete!
The combination of the smokey flavors and crispy skins will make your guests ask for more…so make extra!
Pellet Grill Smoked Potato Skins
- 6-8 Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Shredded Cheese (See Note)
- Cooked and Crumbled Bacon
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
- Preheat the smoker to 250*F.
- Wash potatoes and place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place potatoes on the smoker for 2 hours or until fork tender.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the potato, leaving about 1/8 inch of potato remaining.
- Fill with shredded cheese.
- Raise temperature to 400*F and return the potato skins to the smoker and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
- Store leftovers in fridge.