Make a tasty meal with this Pellet Grill Recipe for Smoked Roast Beef!
It’s that time of year when we’re dusting off our Pellet Grill to make all the tasty Pellet Grill Recipes!
Recently, we tried a new to us, Smoked Roast Beef. This recipe uses a 3-pound Beef Chuck Roast and it’s perfect to smoke alongside Smoked Baked Potatoes. The baked potatoes may take a little longer than the chuck roast too, so keep that in mind when preparing.
How long do you smoke a 3 pound beef chuck roast?
This 3-pound beef chuck roast took about 3 hours to reach an internal temperature of 165*F. The cook time will vary depending on how well you want the roast done. Ours was fully cooked, so if you want it rarer it would take less time.
If the roast is larger it will take an additional about of time as well.
This took about 1 hour per pound for us to smoke this beef chuck roast on a Green Mountain Pellet Grill.
The key with any smoked recipe is to be checking the temperature with a probe throughout the cooking time. It will be done when the temperature reaches the necessary degrees that you are looking for. In this case, we wanted the roast to be at least 165*.
145*F = Medium-Rare
155-160*F = Medium
165*F+ = Well Done
Tips for Making Smoked Roast Beef:
Remember that a probe is necessary, so have one either attached to your grill or a digital meat thermometer.
This is also prepared using a gravy packet, this can be either a gluten-free or regular brown gravy packet.
Then, foil is wrapped around it to keep the liquid from dripping out during the cooking time of the roast. So the foil will be wrapped around almost like a packet or bowl. It’s VERY IMPORTANT to use heavy-duty foil, do not use cheap foil. There is a BIG difference.
You’ll find out that big difference if you lift up the roast and the foil rips, so be sure to use a high-quality foil.
This Smoked Roast Beef is a very simple way to make a roast!
If you prefer to make this in your Air Fryer, check out this Air Fryer Beef Roast.
Pellet Grill Recipes
Check out this fabulous list of Pellet Grill Recipes, it’ll keep you grilling all summer long!
Smoked Roast Beef
- 3 Pound Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 Tsp Steak Seasoning
- 1 Package Gluten-Free or Regular Brown Gravy Mix
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Sheet Aluminum Foil
- Begin by preparing your pellet grill per the manual. This needs to be heated up to 225*F.
- Once done, place a sheet of foil on a cutting board or in a 9×13 dish.
- Place the roast on top of the foil and add the steak seasoning.
- Combine the gravy with 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring the foil up around the roast to create a "bowl" or packet for the roast.
- Pour the gravy mixture evenly over the roast. Be sure the foil is up enough that it doesn't pour out.
- Add the butter right on top of the roast.
- Keeping the roast in the foil, carefully place on a heated pellet grill, this should be at 225*F.
- Let this smoke for 3+ hours until the inteneral tempearture is at least 165*F. This will range from 3-4 hours, the key is to keep checking the temeprature during the cooking time.
- Carefully remove and serve.