This Gluten Free Pecan Rum Cake is a must for every holiday gathering!
This Pecan Rum Cake is also easy to make gluten-free too!
This is a depression-era recipe that my great aunt passed down and it’s been a keeper in our family.
This is one of my go-to recipes to make for parties and holidays.
How do you make Pecan Rum Cake?
As I made this one from my aunt’s collection, I had to smile as I read all of her notes on the recipe card.
She even wrote on the card, “This is delicious.”
So, she must have been telling herself that it’s so good she needed to remember to make this one regularly! My grandma said that she remembers this one from many years ago as well.
The good thing is this can be made gluten-free as well if that’s a need. It’s a simple recipe that uses a cake mix as the bake.
The pecans make this cake perfect, they are perfectly molded into the top of the bundt pan during the baking process.
It’s then topped with a buttery glaze.
How do you make this Gluten Free Pecan Rum Cake?
What do you need to make Pecan Rum Cake?
- Yellow Cake Mix or Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- Vanilla Pudding Mix
How do you release the cake from the bundt pan?
There are a few options to get the perfect release from the bundt pan. The first is to use a baking spray and fully coat the bundt pan very well.
Once the cake is done let it fully cool and then carefully release it.
Another option is to make a Cake Goop. This consists of vegetable shortening, flour, and canola oil. This can be made with gluten-free flour as well and is then brushed onto the bundt pan.
The remaining Cake Goop that is left, can then be stored in a glass jar. This ends up being a guaranteed way to successfully release it from the pan.
Can you use Imitation Rum for Pecan Rum Cake?
Yes, of course, you can. It’s totally up to you but I prefer the real rum.
The imitation rum has a much more sugary taste to me and doesn’t taste as good as the real thing.
So although it’s totally up to you, the best flavor will come from the real rum. Remember, it does cook out of this cake! Let’s hope anyway…Ha!
Now, are you ready for a slice? Or two?
Find even more recipes that are Gluten-Free in the Gluten-Free Index!
If you enjoy this Pecan Rum Cake, you’ll also love this apple pie!
Gluten Free Pecan Rum Cake
Pecan Rum Cake
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans
- 1 Package Yellow Cake Mix or Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 3/4 Oz Package Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Rum
- 1/2 Cup Butter 1 Stick
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Rum
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free or Regular Flour
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- If you plan to make Cake Goop - Combine the ingredients for the Cake Goop with a whisk or stand mixer until smooth. Brush it onto the bundt pan with a pastry brush and store the remaining ingredients in a glass jar. If you are not doing this, use a baking or cooking spray to coat the bundt pan.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease a bundt pan (See step #1) then spread the pecans evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Combine and mix the remaining cake ingredients in order.
- Pour it evenly into the bundt cake pouring it on top of the pecans.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until poked with a toothpick in the deepest part, the toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, in a small saucepan on medium heat, combine all glaze ingredients and warm up until it reaches a rolling boil.
- Let the glaze ingredients boil for a full 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven.
- Pour the glaze ingredients over the cake with it still in the pan.
- Let the cake stand for 10 minutes, before turning the pan over and carefully releasing it.