As we were preparing for my best friend’s baby shower, I saw these Spiced Mocha Cupcakes on TidyMom. I read through the recipe and although they looked and sounded delicious, I was looking for something simple. I wanted to use a box cake mix and somehow get the coffee taste in the cupcakes as well.
Along with this, I loved the idea of the whipped cream topping as that’s my favorite icing.
After being inspired by this post, I came up with my own version that is sort of like a shortcut I suppose; however, they turned out delicious! There was licking of the bowl involved. I also won’t let you know that I ate so many of them I ended up having to make 48 instead of 24!
These are delicious, be prepared to eat more than one…or ten!
This post has been linked up to Eat at Home!
- 1 Box Duncan Hines German Chocolate Cake Mix or Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- 1 Cup Coffee Decaf or Regular
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla
- Begin by combining the cake mix, oil, coffee, water, and eggs. Mix this well and then prepare as instructed on the cake mix box. This will make 24 cupcakes.
- While these are baking beat together the whipping cream, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. This will beat for about 3-5 minutes or until the texture becomes similar to canned whipped cream. I usually put this in my mixer with the whisk attachment on HI for 3-5 minutes. If it is not fully whipped let it go longer.
- Next, fill a cake decorator bag with the whipped cream using a Wilton 1M tip for the swirl. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled decorate them. I used the cinnamon to garnish them as well as some edible pearl dust.
- Eat these immediately or refrigerate to keep the whipped cream stiff.