As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
One of the activities my kids absolutely LOVED as young ones was playdough with this easy microwavable gingerbread playdough. It’s made with ingredients in the pantry and it’s good for up to 6 months in an airtight container.
When my kids were little, I would make a batch of this playdough, then pair it with cookie cutters and they were happy for HOURS! It was a lifesaver to get things done around the house.
Plus, no worries if they ate some, it’s all edible although probably not very tasty…but it won’t hurt to eat it either!
What do you need for Microwavable Gingerbread Playdough?
- Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- Cream of Tarter
- Vegetable Oil
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Cinnamon
These are easy ingredients found right in your pantry, plus you can make this gluten-free with the gluten-free all-purpose flour too.
Tips for Making Microwavable Gingerbread Playdough:
It will take about 5-6 minutes to make this, you will microwave it and then knead the dough and microwave again until you get to the right consistency.
It’s best for a parent to do this as it may be warm when you are preparing it. Be sure to let it cool first before the kids start playing with it.
It can be tinted with different food coloring too; however, we preferred the natural color, much less mess, and no dirty hands! Then, we would pair it with some fun cookie cutters and let the kids play and play. This is fun to give as a gift too!
If you want to do this as a gift, prepare it and place it in an airtight container and pair it with cookie cutters. We found this to be a great gift idea for my kid’s friends, too. It’s a win too because most kids love playdough, even better when it’s homemade.
Enjoy this fun Microwavable Gingerbread Playdough!
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Tbsp Cream of Tarter
- 1 Cup Salt
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1-2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients and then adding in the remaining ingredients. Stir this until well mixed and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Take this out and stir it again then microwave for 2 more minutes. The cinnamon is what gives the playdough the coloring, so you will want to add enough to give it the desired color you are trying to achieve.
- Let it sit to cool, and then kneed it and time to play!
- This can be stored in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 6 months. Be sure not to omit the Cream of Tarter as this is what makes it last longer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9435mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g