I have mentioned in the past that my all time favorite meal growing up was Chicken and Rice Casserole…loved it! I loved it so much that on our first Valentine’s Day, my husband conspired with his aunt to make me Chicken and Rice Casserole. It was not the kind I was used to growing up but it was still delicious and the thought behind it won me over! I am married to him now, right?
That was when I learned he could cook and he continued to cook the majority of our meals after we were married. That’s what saved me from having to cook, I never had to. I typically did not get off work until 7-8pm so by the time I got home he was either ready for dinner or had already eaten dinner.
Then, the tables turned when he started working nights…it was all me. I had to learn to cook! WHAT?! Call the troops…I can’t cook!
Shortly after, this site was born and day by day I taught myself to cook. Now I can pretty much come up with recipes on the spot and do a million other things I never knew would happen or be possible!
Amazing how that story all comes out of Chicken and Rice Casserole…isn’t it?
The last time I made this, I was trying to think of a twist to one of my favorites. Then, I thought…what about a Mexican Chicken & Rice Casserole. Umm…Yes, please!
If you like things spicy, keep your red pepper handy. If you are like me and just a tiny amount of spice makes you run for the pitcher of water, skip the red pepper and enjoy!
Have you visited our Products list? Be sure and check out Mommy Hates Cooking Products and Services.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Mexican Chicken Bake
- 4-6 Medium Size Chicken Breast I used 4 large chicken breast and cut them up into smaller portions
- 1/4 Cup Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet or Gluten Free Taco Seasoning Packet
- 2 Cups Brown Minute Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
- 1 14.5 Oz Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies Rotel
- 1 Cup Shredded Taco Cheese
- Optional: Red Cayenne Pepper
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400*.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix the flour and taco seasoning, then coat each chicken breast evenly with the mixture.
- Place the chicken breast in the casserole dish.
- Evenly pour on the brown rice and water.
- Bake in the oven at 400* for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until the chicken is done.
- Carefully remove from the oven, then top with beans, onions, tomatoes, taco cheese, and pepper.
- Place back in the oven for 10 minutes to heat through or until the cheese is melted.
- (Note: This is also good on day 2, shredded up and served in a tortilla or on tortilla chips as nachos.)
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking
Leave A Reply!