In my opinion, Salsa is very much a personal preference. I am not a huge fan of salsa so I rarely eat it; however, if it’s chunky salsa then I’m all about it. If it’s chunky homemade salsa…just hand me the bowl!
My husband I have a difference of opinions on salsa, although he loves my homemade chunky salsa. He would actually prefer no chunks, smooth, restaurant style salsa. He says it’s because he truly does not like tomatoes, so he does not care for chunks of them.
I use fresh roma tomatoes in my salsa, which I could eat whole! They have a much more subtle taste.
After I made a batch of this salsa, it did not take us long to run out of chips! We had enough to save 1 jar full, of course I am sure that will be gone quickly too!
Now, I need some salsa! Enjoy!
Homemade Chunky Salsa
- 8 Roma Tomatoes Peeled
- 1 4 oz Can of Green Chilies Chopped
- 1/4 Cup White Onion Chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic Smashed
- 1/4 Tsp Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro Chopped (I like Cilantro, if you do not add less)
- 1/2 Lime
- Peppers Optional
- Begin by chopping up 4 of the tomatoes which will be the chunky ones in your salsa, put those in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut the other 4 tomatoes in 1/2 and put into the food processor, add the chilies, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, cilantro to the processor. If you use peppers add them as well, remember I do not like spicy food so I avoid the peppers. If you want kick by all means, add the peppers! Let this mix until a smooth consistency is formed.
- Pour the contents from the food processor mix into the bowl with the chunky tomatoes and stir together mixing all the ingredients.
- Next, squeeze the lime juice over the salsa and give it another stir.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with your favorite chips or tortillas! Enjoy!
- Note: This typically makes 4-6 cups.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking