Learn how to make heart-shaped sugar cookies, just in time for Valentine’s Day!
It’s nearly Valentine’s Day, just a few short weeks away. That means I start getting a little too crazy with the heart cookie cutters and the pink and red sprinkles!
I just knew this year that I had to make a batch of my favorite sugar cookies for Valentine’s Day. My family didn’t argue either, they were beyond excited to see these on the counter.
My daughter quickly devoured one, she loved it so much that she was covered with icing, even in her hair. That’s some serious eating!
How do you make Heart-Shaped Sugar Cookies?
I used my favorite sugar cookie recipe that makes soft sugar cookies. Then, I topped them with whipped frosting and sprinkles. They were simple and pretty, perfect for parties or just to surprise the family with!
Once you have your dough made, it’s as easy as cutting it out with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. We like to use a homemade whipped topping and pipe it on the cookies.
Then, we add some festive sprinkles and they look beautiful even though they are so easy to make.
The key is to roll the dough out where it’s not too thick and not too thin, about 1/8 inch is the best. I always chill the dough too before using it just to get it nice and cold. It’s easier to work with that way.
How do you make these sugar cookies gluten-free?
If you make these gluten-free, I use this Better Batter Flour. These that you see in these pictures are made with it.
This is the BEST way to make these cookies gluten-free. I promise you will never even be able to tell the difference. Better Batter is my go-to flour for everything I make around here.
It’s going to be a 1:1 switch to make these cookies with Better Batter. In full disclosure, I do write menu plans for Better Batter and have for many years. I also have used it regularly for nearly as long as my blog has been around.
These are fun cookies to make with the kids, I know my daughter loves to make these. We’ve been making them since she could walk.
Now, she’s starting to learn the ropes of the kitchen herself and become quite a baker.
Enjoy these heart-shaped sugar cookies!
Heart Shaped Sugar Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 Tbsp Milk
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Pink & Red Sprinkles
- 2 Containers of Vanilla Whipped Frosting
- Begin by creaming the butter, adding in the sugars, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing well.
- Chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the Oven to 350*.
- Knead and roll the dough out using additional flour if needed, then use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut the cookies.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, place the cut cookies on the sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes then remove from oven and let cool before moving to a wire rack to complete cooling.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, put the frosting in a cake decorating bag with the 1M Wilton tip. Top the cookies with the frosting and sprinkles.