Grilled Rustic Chicken Pizza with Pompeian
The best grilled pizza for the summer months is this Grilled Rustic Chicken Pizza.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Pompeian; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own as well as the recipe. This post was originally published in 2014, I’m sharing it again as it’s a favorite!
Are you tired of the same ole pizza nights? Pepperoni Pizza? I know that there are times when I want a fancier pizza night. I used to enjoy going to an Italian Restaurant and ordering a delicious pizza made with a lighter sauce instead of marinara. I can still taste that burst of flavor, but then I went gluten free and going to an Italian Restaurant to order a pizza is not in the cards for me anymore.
I’m okay with that. Why?
I can make an even better one at home! The key to this Grilled Rustic Chicken Pizza is the dressing. I opted out of using a traditional marinara style pizza sauce and combined Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, and Crushed Garlic to make the dressing for this pizza.
I can honestly say that of all the homemade pizza I have made, this is hands down the best one I have ever made. My husband and I were just blown away with how incredible this tasted.
We decided that since it’s grilling season, we would grill our pizza crust. The key to the grilled pizza crust is watching the time closely because you have to find the happy medium between being crispy and cooked and not being overcooked.
We found that happy medium as we made this pizza and it was crispy perfection.
As soon as the pizza was grilled on one side, we immediately flipped it over, then we poured the dressing on the crust. This dressing made the crust moist and gave it a subtle burst of flavor that complimented all the toppings perfectly.
Next, I topped it with Grilled Chicken, Roma Tomatoes, Red Onions, Spinach, Black Olives, and a 3 Cheese Italian Blend.
Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is.
This dressing gave a whole new twist to pizza and made for a much fancier pizza night. My husband and I enjoyed this on the back porch after the kids went to bed for an at home date night. We do these often, so I love that we found a new meal to share on our date nights.
This dressing lightened up this pizza making it the perfect summer meal that can be topped with garden fresh produce. Are you ready for dinner? I know I am!
For those that are gluten free, I used this crust recipe for the dough.
Grilled Rustic Chicken Pizza
- 1/2 Cup Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Pompeian Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Clove of Garlic, Crushed
- 1 Prepared Pizza Dough or Gluten Free Pizza Dough (Uncooked)
- 1 Cup Grilled Chicken Strips
- 1/2 Red Onion, Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Black Olives, Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Spinach Leaves
- 1 Roma Tomato, Sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups 3 Cheese Italian Blend (Parmesan, Romano & Asiago)
- Begin by mixing the ingredients for the dressing together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- After you have prepared the pizza dough, roll it out to form the crust on a greased sheet of foil.
- Keeping the crust on the piece of foil, place it on the grill at medium heat.
- Let this grill for 5-8 minutes, keep a close eye on it to avoid burning.
- Remove the pizza from the grill carefully. Place another sheet of foil down, greasing the foil to avoid sticking and carefully flip the pizza over so that the cooked side is up on the new sheet of foil.
- Build the pizza by pouring the dressing evenly over the pizza, adding the chicken, onion, olives, spinach, and tomato. Then, top it with the cheese.
- Place it carefully back on the grill and let it grill for another 5-8 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is completely cooked.
- Carefully Remove and Serve Warm.
The amounts of toppings will vary based on the size of the crust. If you are gluten free, click this link for the dough recipe I use.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.