Enjoy a classic fall dessert with these Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes!
As we head into fall it’s all about the pumpkin, right? That means these Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes are a must have! Although, I will say that the canned pumpkin shortage is a real thing. Have anyone else had trouble finding canned pumpkin?
I went to about 4 stores to find some, finally found it at Aldi, and got several to keep throughout the season, enough that we should be good to go for the season but not enough that I’ll have any leftover either.
If you have any trouble finding it though, you can make it yourself with this Homemade Pumpkin Puree Recipe.
Assuming that you find some this season, these Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes are a perfect choice! These cupcakes are a nice little twist on this Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cake and they use this Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice too.
Can you use Canned Pumpkin Pie Filling?
This recipe is made with Canned Pumpkin Puree, NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling. There is a difference.
If you use Canned Pumpkin Pie Filling, this will already have all the spices in it and it’s sweetened. This recipe is made with Canned Pumpkin Puree which means it’s just pumpkin.
That means if you use the sweetened pumpkin plus the remaining ingredients in this recipe, you will have an overly sweet treat so the balance will be off. Be sure with this recipe you are using canned pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie filling.
How do you make Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes?
These pumpkin cupcakes are made gluten-free, with a simple swap of flour. If you want to make these gluten-free, just use a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour. I almost always use Better Batter, but the 1:1 flour of your choice will work.
If you do not need gluten-free, just use regular all-purpose flour.
If you’d like to try another version of pumpkin cupcakes, be sure to check out these that use a cake mix.
Now it’s time to enjoy these Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 4 Eggs Room Temperature and Beaten
- 1 Can 15oz Canned Pumpkin
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8oz Packages Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/2 Cup 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 6-8 Cups Powdered Sugar Sifted
- 1-2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
To make cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Line the cupcake pans with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, granulated and butter together until light and creamy.
- Add eggs and pumpkin, beat until well combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture until well combined.
- Divide batter into cupcake liners using a cookie dough scoop or large spoon.
- Bake at 350*F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to a wire rack to cool.
To make cream cheese frosting:
- In a large bowl beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add butter and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in vanilla and cinnamon until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate as desired.
- Store leftovers in the fridge up to 3-4 days in a covered container.