As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Make a delicious and beautiful dessert with this Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
If you need the perfect cake for a cookout or pot luck, this Pineapple Upside Down Cake is it! This is the most beautiful and tasty cake, plus it’s very easy to make gluten-free if that’s a need as well.
It’s that time of year for some fun desserts and this one is just a classic but it’s easy to make gluten-free too. If you do not need it to be gluten-free, simply make it as written with regular all-purpose flour. It can be done either way!
How do you make this cake gluten-free?
This is one of the easiest recipes to make gluten-free, all you need to do is a simple swap of flour. Be sure to use gluten-free all-purpose flour, we use Better Batter; however, you can use any 1:1 flour that you prefer.
That’s the only swap you will need but as always check all ingredients because these do change from time to time.
Tips for Making Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake:
Be sure to fully coat the pan you are using so that the cake easily comes out after baking.
Do not skip the cooling process with this cake so that it does come out nicely out of the pan. This means you will cool it for 5 minutes, then you flip the pan and let it sit for about a minute until it falls down onto the plate.
At this point, it’s releasing from the pan, be patient during this time.
This cake can be stored in the fridge until you are ready to serve, but if you put a cover directly over it for instance plastic wrap, it will stick to the top, so be sure not to directly cover it entirely.
It’s best served fresh out of the oven.
Enjoy this easy Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake!
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 Stick) Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1 Can (20oz) Pineapple Rings in Juice, Reserve Juice for Cake
- 1 Jar (10z) Maraschino Cherries without Stems
- 1 1/3 Cups Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 Stick) Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg, Room Temperature
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Pineapple Juice
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease a round 9-inch cake pan.
- For the topping: Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and stir in the brown sugar until smooth.
- Pour into a prepared pan.
- Arrange pineapple rings in the brown sugar mixture and place a cherry in the center of each ring.
- For the batter: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Add sour cream until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with pineapple juice, and mix just until combined.
- Spoon batter over the pineapple rings and then spread evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350*F or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Place a plate or serving platter on top of the cake and flip over.
- Patiently wait 30-60 seconds for the cake to loosen and then carefully lift off the pan.
- Let cool completely and serve with whipped cream if preferred.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 1gSugar: 64gProtein: 4g