Gluten Free Indian Tacos
Gluten Free Indian Tacos are made with a homemade fry bread, perfect for all!
I have been craving Indian Tacos for a while now, a long while. I kept telling my husband I was going to try to make these soon but had really no luck finding a good gluten free fry bread. So, I decided to adapt the Indian Fry Bread recipe from Pioneer Woman. I mean we all know her recipes are typically golden, right?
I had to make a few minor adjustments, of course primarily I swapped the regular flour for gluten free all purpose flour. I almost always use Better Batter. I am ask that question many times but honestly I have NEVER found a better flour for gluten free than Better Batter. They don’t pay me to say that either, I do write menu plans for them and they do provide me with product; however, I have tried just about all the gluten free flours out there and that one is one I can use knowing it will always work. I like that I don’t have to buy more than one flour either, I just buy that one and that’s it!
Next, I had to add a little more water than her recipe accounts for to get to the right consistency. I also think my fry bread was a bit smaller than hers possibly; however, it worked out really well. I was able to make enough for 6 which was perfect for our family to enjoy these Indian Tacos.
Gluten Free Indian Tacos
- 3 Cups Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- About 1 Cup Water
- Taco Meat
- Shredded Cheese
- Black Olives
- Catalina Dressing
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder using the paddle attachment.
- Once this is mixed, add in the milk and slowly pour in the water until it reaches a good consistency (start with 1/2 a cup). Using the gluten free flour, I had to use a full cup.
- Cover and let it rest for about an hour.
- Once you are ready to make the bread, using a cast iron skillet, heat up the oil on medium-high heat. I typically will add about 1-2 inches of oil enough to cover half the bread.
- Grab a handful of the dough, then spread it to the size you prefer. These were about 5 inches across for me when I was making them.
- Place the dough in the oil and let it fry on one side about a minute then turn and fry on the other side.
- Place on a paper towel lined plate until ready to serve.
- This should make about 6 fry bread; however, it will vary depending on the size.
- Once they are done, top with your taco toppings and serve with dressing.
Adapted From: Pioneer Woman
Then, for the tacos I used our taco salad recipe topping them with basically all the toppings we use for our taco salad. These hit the spot! My son and my daughter were scarfing theirs down along with my husband. It’s always feel like I won a gold medal when my ENTIRE family likes the dish! Doesn’t it feel that way for you?
Ready for this tasty meal? Eat up! Remember, if you are not gluten free you can make these with regular flour too.
If you want to skip the bread, try this Easy Taco Salad!