Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written on behalf of Pompeian; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
As we head into the spring and summer months, most of my cooking turns into more quick and easy meals along with very light meals. It gets so hot here in Oklahoma that in the summer time, I tend to use lots of fresh produce and rarely ever turn on the oven. As I had that in mind on a warm, spring day, I whipped up this Garlic & Olive Oil Kale Salad using a full bodied Olive Oil from Pompeian.
I used the Koroneiki variety from the Pompeian Varietals Collection. This variety is a full-bodied extra virgin olive oil that has a fruitiness to it and a peppery finish. This just happens to be one of the best varieties for salads. I was in luck since I was in the middle of making this Kale Salad!
Is it just me or does Kale seem to be on the rise over this past year? Several years ago, I actually had never even heard of it because it was rarely called for in salads. Now, I love snacking on it as Kale Chips and my latest favorite is a Kale Salad. If you love a crunchy salad you will enjoy this one.
This salad consisted of a bushel of Kale along with fresh, slice Roma tomatoes, lemon, black olives, crumbled bacon and cheese. If you’d like to add a little more protein to it, top it with freshly sliced hard boiled eggs or even poached eggs.
One of my favorite parts about this salad is how healthy it is. The olive oil and a clove of garlic make up the dressing. There is no additional dressing needed because the flavors in the oil complement the salad so well.
Be sure to check out the rest of the Varietals Collection from Pompeian, plus my favorite feature is that you can visit the Tree to Bottle link to find out the exact story and journey behind your bottle of olive oil!
Now is it lunch time yet? I’m ready for this beautiful salad!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Garlic & Olive Oil Kale Salad
- 1 Bushel of Kale
- 2-4 Tbsp Koroneiki Pompeian Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Crushed Garlic
- 1 Roma Tomato Sliced
- 1/2 Lemon Sliced and Halved
- Sliced Black Olives
- Crumbled Bacon
- Shredded Mozzarella or Italian Cheese
1. First clean and rinse the kale. Then, cut it or rip it into smaller pieces and place in a bowl for the salad.
2. Toss the kale with the olive oil. Start this with 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil and add additional oil if needed. This will vary based on how much kale you purchase.
3. Toss in and mix the crushed garlic in with the kale and olive oil. At this point mix the salad and these ingredients well being sure it's evenly coated.
4. Top it with the tomato, lemon, black olives, bacon, and sprinkle cheese on top.
5. Serve or chill until ready to serve.