As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Just as we approach gardening season these Easy Refrigerator Pickles are the perfect treat!
As part of our Garden Fresh Fridays series, I thought it was only fitting to start with one of my favorite foods, pickles. I used to drink pickle juice straight from the jar. I know…it grosses me out a little now too, but seriously as a kid it was SO delicious. Yep…still a little grossed out by that now.
All last summer, I kept thinking that I really needed to make my own pickles but I just never seemed to get around to it. Then, I stumbled on this recipe from Cooking Light for Easy Refrigerator Pickles. These are so simple and really no canning experience needed.
These would be perfect for summer cookouts, I know we tend to grill out all summer long and imagining these topped on a juicy burger just has my mouth watering!
Keep in mind that these need to be in the fridge about 4 days before eating them, so this is one of those make ahead of time recipes by several days. I enjoyed that I could make them the weekend before and just have them sitting there for the week until we were ready to dig in. Then, you can store them in the fridge for several weeks after too.
What do you need to make Easy Refrigerator Pickles?
- Pickling Cucumbers
- White Onion
- White Vinegar
- Mustard Seed
- Celery Seed
- Red Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
Are you ready for some tasty pickles? Eat up!
I’ll be starting Garden Fresh Fridays again soon, hopefully in late May. What are some garden fresh recipes that you enjoy? I’m anxious for our garden to start producing and looking forward to sharing that garden fresh inspiration again soon!
Disclosure: I am a blog partner for Cooking Light; however, this is not a compensated post.
- 2 Lbs Pickling Cucumbers, Thinly Sliced (6 Cups)
- 2 Cups White Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups White Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Celery Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Thinly Sliced
- Place 3 Cups of the cucumbers in a large bowl, top with a cup of the onion.
- Repeat this method.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan, bringing to a boil and stir well. Let this boil about 1 minute then pour over the mixture.
- Let it cool for about an hour.
- Cover the dish or seal and leave in the fridge for up to 4 days.