If you are in need of a delicious treat this summer, this Fresh Cherry Crisp is pure perfection!
Do you ever get in a rut and feel like you need to recharge? I’ve felt that way a lot lately, maybe it’s that summer time feeling of not wanting to do your everyday tasks, or it’s the 7 year itch with my blog. I’m not really sure but I’ve just felt sort of depleted in a lot of ways lately.
This past week, we had our friends over for dinner and I was planning to keep it very low key as far as trying my hardest not to really cook much outside of grilling a few things. Then, I saw these fresh cherries in my fridge and just new that I had to make a Fresh Cherry Crisp.
I had no intentions of posting pictures or a recipe either, it was almost therapeutic to just cook without the strings of taking pictures of it, posting about it, sharing it on social media, plus all the behind the scenes that goes on with food blogging. It was like I found my element again, just enjoying my time in the kitchen and making something delicious for friends to share with us.
I use Better Batter to make this gluten-free too, if you are looking for a gluten-free option.
Then, it came out of the oven and was so good, I couldn’t possibly not share it. It made the entire house smell like heaven and it tasted like it too. As I took a few pictures, I knew I couldn’t let that bowl of Fresh Cherry Crisp go to waste, so as soon as a few pictures were taken I enjoyed a bowl too.
Of course, quickly after that I remembered why I haven’t made desserts in a long time because this was certainly not on my diet, but it was a nice little treat! I used a mixture of lighter colored cherries and dark, sweet cherries to make this crisp. The darker colored cherries really give it a good color and add that cherry red to the mix.
Now, I prefer to serve it with homemade vanilla ice cream, that is certainly a must! I mean if you are going to enjoy it, you better do it right!
The whole process of making this was just like coming home and really being able to relax and just do what I wanted in the kitchen again. It was wonderful and much needed!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe, it’s one that you must try!
Fresh Cherry Crisp
- 1 Lb Dark Cherries Pitted & Halved
- 1 Lb Light Colored Cherries Pitted & Halved
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour or GF All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Additional Ground Cinnamon and Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Quick Cooking Oats or GF Oats
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour or GF All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Butter Melted
- Vanilla Ice Cream Optional
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a cast iron skillet or 9x13 baking dish, place the cherries evenly on the bottom of the dish, inside of the cherry facing up.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg. Then, place this mixture evenly over the cherries.
- Pour in the water.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon and nutmeg over it to give it more flavor.
- In another bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Then, mix in the melted butter.
- This mixture should be very crumbly but be sure that the butter is mixed in well.
- Evenly crumble the mixture over the cherries.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until browned.
- Serve warm with a side of vanilla ice cream.