As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
The perfect summer dessert is these Easy Watermelon Cupcakes, also simple to make gluten-free too!
These Easy Watermelon Cupcakes are perfect for parties or summer desserts, they are fun to make with the kids too. If you like these, you’ll enjoy these Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes and Lemon Cupcakes too.
Each of these recipes can easily be adapted to gluten-free if that’s a need!
These Watermelon Cupcakes will use a cake mix as the base; however, you do not make it as instructed on the box of the cake mix, be sure to follow the recipe instructions carefully.
How do you make Gluten-Free Watermelon Cupcakes?
I typically am able to easily find these at the grocery store, but you can find them on Amazon as well.
Do you need to use food coloring to make Watermelon Cupcakes?
There are a few variations to this recipe; however, if you do use a white or yellow cake mix, you can add food coloring to the batter to make the batter either pink, red, or green for the Watermelon colors.
Another option is to use a strawberry cake mix to get that red and pink color. That will alter the flavor just a bit though since this recipe also uses Watermelon Jello.
What cupcake liners should you use for Watermelon Cupcakes?
Green really sets these cupcakes apart, I have used these green cupcake liners on Amazon, but you can use any that you prefer.
If you prefer, you can add a few pink sprinkles too, but we tend to use chocolate chips for the top as the “seeds”.
What type of frosting should you use for Watermelon Cupcakes?
The frosting can be a storebought buttercream frosting or you can use a homemade buttercream frosting.
If you use a white-based icing, food coloring can be added to make it pink to resemble a watermelon or you can use strawberry frosting and no additional coloring will be needed.
Watermelon Cupcakes are very versatile and you can do plenty of adaptions to make them your OWN!
Are you ready for a cupcake? Let’s start baking!
- 1 Box of Gluten-Free or Regular White Cake Mix
- 1 Small Box (3.4oz) Watermelon Flavored Jello
- 1 Cup Milk or Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 4 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- Pink Food Coloring, Optional
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips (More to Decorate)
- Frosting of Choice (Strawberry)
- Preheat the oven to 350* F and add the cupcake liners to a pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and the Jello mix.
- Add in the eggs, milk, and oil.
- Continue mixing until smooth.
- At this point, you can add food coloring if you want to make the cupcakes pink or red.
- Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Fill the batter into each cupcake liner, about 1/2 way full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes at 350*F or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, cool completely on a wire rack.
- Decorate with the frosting of your choice, strawberry works well for these and add chocolate chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g