Easy Mexican Cornbread brings comfort food home!
Several years back now I made this delicious Mexican Style Cornbread that a co-worker of mine had passed on to me. At the time, I was just in the beginning stages of this blog and the pictures of it just did it no justice.
If you haven’t ventured through the archives, just don’t. I’m kidding…there really are great recipes there, but the pictures of those recipes make me cringe. Slowly but surely I’m retaking those pictures, now that I know how to actually operate a camera and all.
In saying that, I decided this tasty cornbread needed to be in the limelight again and pulled out from the archives, plus why not enjoy it again for dinner?
I love cornbread as is but when it’s turned into a complete meal, that just makes it even better. My kids also love cornbread so it’s much easier to get them to eat this when they know their delicious cornbread is on top and the bottom. This makes for a quick and easy one dish meal.
It just happens that most of these ingredients can easily be found most likely in your pantry.
Ready for a tasty dinner?
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Deb's Mexican Cornbread
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Sliced (Optional)
- 1/2 Lb Sharp Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1 Cup White or Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 Can Cream Style Corn
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a large skillet combine the ground beef, onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Cook this until well done and drain out any grease.
- In a separate dish, combine all of the breading ingredients.
- Spray a cast iron skillet or 9 inch round pan with cooking spray, then pour in 1/2 of the breading mixture. Top this with the meat mixture as well as the cheese. Then, pour all of the remaining breading mixture on top.
- This will cook for 1 hour.