Make the best comfort meal with this Easy Mexican Casserole, it can be made gluten-free too!
One of my husband’s favorite meals is this Easy Mexican Casserole that his mom made growing up, I learned to make it pretty quick but really I’ll be honest and say at the beginning of our marriage…he did all the cooking.
So really, he learned to make it then later on he taught me how to make it too.
It’s full of easy pantry style ingredients, but you can always mix it up and use your own homemade versions too.
What do you need for Easy Mexican Casserole:
- Ground Beef
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Green Chilies
- Pace Picante Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- Quick Cooking Rice
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Fritos or Corn Chips
Tips for Making Easy Mexican Casserole:
There are a few options for this recipe, first, you can either used canned cream of mushroom soup, they even have gluten-free canned cream soups at the store as well.
If you prefer though you can make it yourself too, this Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Chicken too. I prefer this Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup.
If you are using the homemade version, you will want about 2 1/2 cups of cream of mushroom soup for this recipe.
Another quick tip is that this is going to be in the oven for 30 minutes, you can add the cheese in the beginning or you can top it about 5 minutes before it’s done so the cheese does not overcook. I prefer to top it about 5 minutes before it’s fully cooked.
How do you make this Easy Mexican Casserole gluten-free?
If you plan to make this gluten-free, the only switch you will need is the cream soup, this can either be made homemade with gluten-free ingredients or you can purchase the gluten-free canned version at your local store.
If you enjoy this, you’ll love this Mexican Rice Casserole.
Now, are you ready for this tasty meal, let’s make this Easy Mexican Casserole!
Easy Mexican Casserole
- 1 lb of Ground Beef
- 2 10.5 oz Cans Gluten-Free or Regular Cream of Mushroom Soup or 2 1/2 Cups Homemade
- 4.5 oz Can of Green Chilies
- 16 oz Jar of Pace Picante Sauce or Salsa
- 8 oz Can of Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup of Uncooked White Rice Quick Cooking Rice
- 2 Cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Bag of Fritos
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a skillet brown the meat until well done.
- Once done, add in the cream of mushroom soup, chilies, Picante sauce, tomato sauce, and rice.
- Let this simmer until it’s nice and bubbly on medium heat.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, add the entire meat mixture to the dish.
- Top with crushed Fritos (about 2 Cups) on top.
- Add the shredded cheese evenly on top or wait and add this in the last 5 minutes of cook time. (Your preference)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove and serve.