Warm, delicious chocolate chip cookies on a cool, fall day…perfection!
I have been truly missing baking with my son lately as most of his day has been spent in school. As soon as we get home it is feeding time for baby sister, then I’m moving into dinner time and after school activities then getting ready to do it all over again the next day. What does this mean?
There is little time for just me and him to bake! He loves helping me in the kitchen especially when we are baking cookies or tasty treats. Last week, I decided I was taking a hiatus from dinner that evening and just baking with him! We made these fabulous cookies from my aunt’s recipe collection.
When you decide to skip making dinner and bake cookies with a 4 year old, just be prepared for the “can I have a bowl of cookies for dinner, mommy?” questions! He sure was convincing too but sadly for him he still had to eat a real dinner too.
These cookies do take a little bit of before hand work with a food processor. Basically you will want to toss your oatmeal and chocolate candy bar into a food processor then chop it up until it’s very much like a powder. I let mine chop for just under a minute to where it was just starting to take the powder form.
If you want to add nuts to these cookies you could toss those into the processor as well.
They were very tasty, like an old fashioned chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. I love that they were not the super sweet taste I was expecting, it was a very mild burst of chocolate with the chips.
My handy helper was anxious to get a bite too. His favorite part I think was eating the cookie dough! I’m not a big raw cookie dough person, but every time I turned around he was licking his finger and practically ready to lick the bowl too.
He is my little cookie monster. What can I say…he inherited my cookie obsession!
Vi’s Super Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 1/2 Cups Oatmeal or Gluten Free Oatmeal
- 2 Cups Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 4 Oz Chocolate Candy Bar Frozen
- 2 Cups Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Nuts Optional
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- 1. In a bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- 2. Place the oatmeal and the chocolate bar into a food process or blender and chop until it becomes a powder like substance. (If you use nuts, add them here)
- 3. Once this is done add in the oatmeal and chocolate bar mixture into the bowl.
- 4. Next add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Continue to mix until well combined.
- 5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- 6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet and bake at 375* for 8-10 minutes.
- 7. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully place them on a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Makes 4 dozen (varies based on cookie size)
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.