As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
This Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake is the perfect dessert for parties this season!
Are you enjoying the Decades of Desserts series? I have to say working on these post is my favorite part of my blog these days. I love going through my great great aunt’s recipe collection.
It makes me feel like she’s here sitting next to me teaching me all her cooking tricks and tips.
Some of them I get skeptical midway through thinking that maybe it won’t turn out because some of the recipes are very hard to read.
It never fails though…every one of them are beautiful and they taste amazing.
The last delicious dessert I made, Gingerbread Cake.
Yes, Gingerbread Cake.
I have had gingerbread, but I have never had one that tasted like it fell straight from heaven.
This made the days of the newly mobile baby getting in all of big brother’s toys and big brother having a meltdown fade away…kids screaming? What? I’m indulging myself in a piece of cake.
As soon as I took a bite, I knew this one would be on my list for parties this year. The best part, it uses items straight out of your pantry and nothing out of the ordinary!
Tips to make Gingerbread Cake
The topping on this cake makes the cake and to think I almost skipped the topping.
That would of been a total shame! This picture above is the top of the cake without the powdered sugar. I sprinkled it with powdered sugar and cinnamon before serving.
This is butter, brown sugar, and cream topping then coconut is soaked into the mixture.
I drizzled the soaked coconut over the cake then I topped it with a brown sugar crumb topping. To finish it off you simply put it in a broiler for 3 minutes and let it brown.
The result? Purely decadent perfection.
How do you make Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake?
It’s a simple swap of flour. I use Better Batter to make this a gluten free cake.
My Aunt Linnie…she knew how to cook! This should be on your party list for the holidays or everyday. Oh and even better…it works gluten free too!
Sit back and enjoy a slice of this Gingerbread Cake!
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Butter, Softened
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- Dash of Salt
- Topping Part 1:
- 1 Cup of Butter
- 1 1/2 Cup Brown Suger
- 1 1/4 Cup Half and Half
- 1 Cup Shaved Coconut
- Topping Part 2:
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Softened
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans, Optional
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350*.
- 2. Mix the syrup, brown sugar, and white sugar in bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl.
- 3. Add in the butter and cream together with the sugars.
- 4. Add the flour, eggs, water, soda, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in order and continue mixing until the batter is formed.
- 5. Pour into a greased bundt pan.
- 6. Bake for 45 minutes on 350* or until when a toothpick is inserted into the deepest part, it comes out clean.
- 7. Let cake cook and continue to make the topping.
- 8. In a small saucepan, add the butter, brown sugar, and half and half bringing to a boil and stiring until butter is melted.
- 9. Remove from heat and add the coconut, coating it with the mixture.
- 10. Place the cake on a greased cookie sheet or baking pan.
- 11. Using a spoon, scoop out the coconut and top it over the cooled cake, letting a little bit of the liquid run down on the sides.
- 12. Prepare the topping for part 2, in a small bowl combine all ingredients and use hands or fork to crumble.
- 13. Top the cake evenly with the crumble mixture.
- 14. Put the cake in the broiler on low for 3 minutes or until browned. Be sure to watch closely as it will brown quickly.
- 15. Serve and Enjoy