Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a warm, delicious soup on a chili day!
Today, Brandi with The Creative Princess is sharing with us her recipe for Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup! It sounds perfect to me during this cold winter!
This recipe was shared back in 2014; however, it’s a classic around our home and wonderful on these cold days. It’s one of those that the kids will love just as much as the adults and perfect for parties and potlucks too!
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
I am so excited to be sharing this amazing recipe with you today!
A few months ago I spoke about quick fix meals at our monthly women’s meeting at my church. A friend of mine made this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup to share at our potluck that night. I immediately fell in love.
I have made all kinds of different Tortilla Soup recipes over the years, this is my favorite though. I had never made a creamy version; it will be hard for me to go back to “regular” after having this.
Quick Tips for making Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
One of the reasons I like this recipe is because it is so versatile. You can either bake the chicken, or boil it. I prefer boiling it in chicken broth mixed with taco seasoning.
It takes no time at all doing it that way. You can even toss the chicken breasts, chicken broth and taco seasoning in the slow cooker.
I mean really, however you want to cook the chicken breasts, this recipe allows you that freedom. You can also add to the base soup. Want to add corn or black beans? You can! Whatever you have time for and/or have on hand, you can add to this soup.
What do you need for Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup?
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- Chicken Broth
- Taco Seasoning
- Rotel Tomatoes
- Velveeta Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Heavy Cream
Grab more soup recipes!
Be sure to also check out these 31 Soup, Stew, and Chili Recipes too!
Enjoy this yummy soup!
Creamy Chicken Tortillas Soup
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2-3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 32 oz Carton Chicken Broth
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- 1 Small Onion – Chopped
- 1 Tbs Butter
- 1 Can Rotel
- 16 oz Velveeta Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Combine Chicken Broth and Taco Seasoning in a large pot, bring to a boil.
- Add Chicken Breasts and allow to boil 15-20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- While Chicken is boiling, melt butter in a small pan, add onion and cook until tender.
- Once Chicken has finished boiling, remove from pot, reserving all liquid. Shred Chicken, return to pot and liquid.
- Add Onion, Rotel, Velveeta and Cheddar Cheeses to pot, heat through, allowing cheeses to melt.
- Once Cheeses have melted, add Heavy Cream. Heat through without boiling.
- Serve warm topped with a bit of cheese and tortilla strips.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking
Leave A Reply!