A while back I mentioned that my grandma had given me her 1965 Edition of Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I was anxious to start cooking from it when she gave it to me. My favorite part about this cookbook is most of the foods it calls for you would already have in your pantry.
My first recipe to try was their Cream of Tomato Soup. I have to admit I’m used to the pureed style of tomato soup, so this one was a bit different when I was making it. It was not nearly as thick as what I had imagined; however, it was perfect with grilled cheese. I like to dip my grilled cheese in tomato soup, not necessarily eat the soup by itself. My husband who does not like tomatoes even ate all of his soup and thought this was delicious. I could count the times I’ve seen him eat anything involving tomatoes and it’s few and far between.
I adapted this recipe just a bit from Better Homes and Gardens 1965 Edition. I also topped mine with a little bit of Asiago Cheese.
Now, is it a grilled cheese and tomato soup day at your house?
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
- 2 1/2 Cups Tomatoes Cut into Chunks
- 2 Slices of Onion
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- Being by combining the tomatoes, onion, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Let this simmer for 10 minutes and then strain.
- In a separate sauce pan add in the butter, flour and milk, stir until warm.
- Just before you serve, slowly add the hot tomato mixture to the hot white sauce and stir constantly until thickened.
- The recipe serves 6.