A few weeks ago I posted my recipe for Tater Tot Casserole. I do realize this is not the most healthy of dishes, but it is a fun dish to have every now and then also it does beat fast food!
My favorite part about this recipe is that you are able to freeze 1/2 of the dish for later and eat 1/2 now! This works out perfectly for freezer cooking. I posted on facebook about freezer cooking, stay tuned for more dishes to use for freezer cooking in the near future.
This dish was easy and tasty. It also opened the doors to a whole new world, freezer cooking!
Chili Cheese Tater Tot Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chili:
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 16 oz Cans of Bush’s Chili Beans
- 1 14.5 oz Can of Beef Broth
- 1 10 oz Can of Rotel or Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Tsp Minced Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Cup of Ketchup
- 1/2 Cup Colby Jack Cheese
- 2-4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Lb Bag of Tater Tots
To make Slow Cooker Chili:
- Cook the ground beef in a skillet. In this case, I used precooked ground beef that I had in the freezer.
- Then, add all ingredients in the slow cooker. This should cook on low for 4 hours. When it’s finished top with a little bit of cheese.
To make Casserole:
- Once the chili was done I poured it equally into 2 8×8 baking safe dishes. Then, add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top of each portion of chili. Lastly, cover the top with tater tots. I used a 2 lb bag of tater tots using 1 pound for each dish.
- Take one of the dishes and put it in the freezer, this will last for up to 3 months.
- The other dish will bake in the oven on 350* for 30-35 minutes. The last 5 minutes remove the dish adding a 1/2 cup more of shredded cheddar cheese, then return to the oven until melted.
- When you are ready to serve the frozen dish, you will simply remove it from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. This does not need to be thawed, then bake covered at 350*. This will bake 1 1/2 hours, repeat the same process the last 5 minutes with 1/2 cup of cheese.