As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Typically I would say ‘Hash’ would have potatoes in it and this doesn’t, but it just seemed like it was a ‘hash’ style recipe. I guess we could say the starch comes from the rice though.
I love hash recipes or recipe I can call hash because basically you can open the pantry and freezer and use what you have. There are really no rules to make this dish just add what you love!
This recipe can also be made with a toddler and an infant on the hip! It’s that easy, friends.
I was challenged by Johnsonville to come up with a recipe using Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice along with their new Better-For-You Chicken Sausage. As soon as I saw the two ingredients I needed to use, I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I also knew that I would be adding a poached egg to the top.
I am not a huge egg fan, but for some reason I really love them poached on top of meals that they may not necessarily be on! The egg added the perfect saucy flavor to this dish!
I decided to go with the 3 Cheese Italian Style Chicken Sausage for this dish. A few things I love about this sausage, one is that it’s fully cooked so you are simply warming it up and next it’s healthier than traditional sausage.
This meal took less than 20 minutes to make as the ready rice is ready in 90 seconds! Then, the sausage simply needed to be heated up. Even better, with this meal you can add any veggies you have on hand such as peppers, onions, or broccoli.
Lastly, you simply add a poached egg on top, if you have not poached an egg before head over to WikiHow for a tutorial on it.
Disclosure: I am a blog ambassador for Johnsonville; however, all thoughts, recipe, and opinions are my own.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
- 1 Package Johnsonville 3 Italian Cheese Chicken Sausage, Sliced
- 1 8.8 Oz Package Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Ready Rice
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, Crushed
- 6 Green Onions, Diced
- Optional: Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Various Veggies
- 2 Poached Eggs
- Parsley to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Begin by heating the olive oil in the skillet along with the sausage. Next, add in the garlic, onions, and veggies into the skillet. Let this simmer for 10 minutes.
- While this is simmering heat up the ready rice based on the instructions on the package.
- Then, prepare your poached egg. If you have never poached an egg please see link in the blog post.
- Once the rice is done add it into the sausage skillet mixture. Mix the sausage and rice well and then place a serving on a plate.
- Top with a poached egg, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Servings: 2