One of my favorite foods is Chinese food; however, being that I’m gluten free sometimes it’s hard to get take out Chinese, so the best option for me is to make my own. Even if you are not gluten free making your own is much better health wise as far as many fast food Chinese chains use high amounts of sodium. I like to make mine with a low sodium soy sauce to help cut down on that. It’s better for me and my tummy!
I recently decided to try a lo mein of sorts by adapting my Chicken Fried Rice recipe. My husband and I were both impressed with how tasty this dish was and now it’s a favorite on our menu! The noodles I used were from Thai Kitchen and they were the Stir Fry Rice Noodles.
This recipe can be adapted easily to use your favorite veggies!
Enjoy this delicious at home dish!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Chicken Lo Mein
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup White Onion Diced
- 1/2 Cup Celery Diced
- 1/2 Cup Carrots Diced
- 2 Cups Finely Diced Chicken Cook Chicken and Finely Dice in Food Processor
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1-2 Cups Lite Sodium Soy Sauce or Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 1 Box Thai Kitchen Stir Fry Rice Noodles
- In a large stock pot begin by cooking the noodles as instructed on the package. Once these are cooked, drain them with cold water and return them back to the stock pot and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add in the oil and the veggies. Let this cook and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the veggies are soft. Next, add in the cooked, diced chicken and the beaten egg. Let this simmer an additional 10 minutes until the egg is nicely cooked and all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Once the skillet mixture is well cooked meaning the egg is cooked and the veggies are soft, pour it into the stock pot with the noodles.
- Next add in the soy sauce (1 cup) and mix well with the noodles and the skillet mixture. To get the desired taste and coloring of the lo mein you may need to add additional soy sauce to your acquired taste.
- Mix well and serve!
- Note: You can also add garlic and ginger to it for additional flavor.