Celebrate the holiday season with Cherry Sugar Cookie Cups.
For my family, the Christmas season means a lot of baking, does it in yours? I always think cookies when I think about the holiday season. It’s a tradition for my kids and I that each year on Christmas break, we start it off by making batches of various cookies and treats. Once we have them all made, we drive around town and deliver them to all the doorsteps of our friends and family. I used to do this as a kid with my grandma, so doing this with my kids now I feel like I’m carrying the tradition just a little bit longer.
My kids absolutely enjoy it and each year it seems a bit different in the kitchen watching them grow. My son is more involved now and so is my daughter. They both started in this as babies, so obviously as they grow they get to do a little bit more than the year before. My son is really starting to learn his way around the kitchen too. I thought this year, we would try something new for us and make little Sugar Cookie Cups with pre-made cookie dough.
Although you can always make cookies from scratch, I happen to enjoy that for those of us that may not have that time available, we can simply by the sugar cookie dough ready to go. This made it even easier for us to make these cookie cups. We simply rolled out the dough and trimmed it to fit into a cupcake tin and shaped them. Now, I did find that the dough tends to ‘grow’ in the oven, so I used the back portion of an ice cream scoop, to push the dough down once they came out of the oven. The shape of the scoop actually helps to provide a more rounded shape for the cookie cups, so it works perfectly.
Once we had our cups completely cooled, I filled them up with cherry pie filling, then whipped topping. Now, don’t these look adorable and they are super tasty too. It’s best to add the whipped cream last, but the key is to be sure the cookies are completely cooled. The whipped cream turns into a puddle fast if they are not cool. I like to put ours in the fridge for a few hours before topping.
Enjoy these Cherry Sugar Cookie Cups.
Cherry Sugar Cookie Cups
- 1 Package Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough
- 2 Cups Cherry Pie Filling
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roll the dough out and use a lid from a mason jar or a round shaped lid to cut the dough into a circle.
- Shape to fit each muffin tin, trim off the excess around the tin.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove and use the back of an ice cream scoop to press the dough back down, it does rise a bit.
- Let these cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then carefully remove and place on a dish to put in the fridge for at least 2 hours to cool.
- When ready to serve, fill with the pie filling and top with whipped topping and sprinkles.