As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Enjoy a delicious comfort meal with Cheesy Chicken and Rice that is also gluten-free too. It pairs chicken breast with rice, cream of chicken, chicken broth, and cheese to make a great warm, comfort meal.
This is a comfort meal that I grew up on as a kid. I’d imagine my mom probably saw the recipe on the back of a Campbell’s Soup can and adapted it to one that we know and love.
Since then, I have now adapted it to a gluten-free recipe for my family but we still love this Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole. It’s a comfort meal that reminds me of evenings at home with my mom as a kid.
How do you make Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole gluten-free?
The main ingredient that will need to be swapped out is the cream of chicken soup. I typically pick up the gluten-free cream of chicken soup at Walmart, but you can go with your favorite variety.
If you prefer a homemade version, this gluten-free cream of chicken soup is perfect. It can even be made with dairy-free ingredients too.
Tips for making Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole:
This is the perfect meal to add veggies into. For instance, you can easily add mixed vegetables right into the casserole or broccoli too. We used to do this all the time when our kids were little.
As my kids have grown, they each have their own taste and don’t necessarily agree on vegetables. I’ve now started to add the vegetables as a side dish instead of mixed in.
I have one child that hates green vegetables and another that loves them and doesn’t care for anything but green vegetables…so we are in a vegetable dilemma.
If you have a mutual vegetable that you love, add it right into this dish and you’ll easily have a one-dish dinner.
I suggest checking in on this after about 30 minutes to stir up the rice. The key will be that all the rice is under the liquid in the dish. The rice cooks quickly, so if you see that some of it look dry when you check on it, just mix it in and it will be cooked by the time the dish is done.
The rice is a great creamy flavor that is so delicious, the rice is actually my favorite part of this meal.
Now, are you ready for a wonderful fall comfort food? It’s time to eat up with this Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole!
- 3 Medium Sized Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Cups Minute Rice, White or Brown
- 1 14.5 oz Can of Chicken Broth
- 1 10.5 oz Can of Cream of Chicken or Gluten Free Cream of Chicken (Condensed)
- 2 Cups of Water (Divided)
- 1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese or Colby Jack Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Place chicken on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour the rice over the chicken along with the chicken broth and cream of chicken.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups water over the entire dish and stir up the cream of chicken into the rice.
- Bake for 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Check on it after about 30 minutes and stir up the rice if needed so that it all gets under the liquid. Add additional 1/2 cup water at this point, if the rice isn't under enough liquid.
- Remove from oven and add cheese.
- Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove and serve.
Add additional water if the rice is dry when you check on it at the 30-minute mark or stir into the liquid that is already there.
Remember that the chicken should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees to be done.
This recipe also uses Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 1147mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 31g