Catfish Nuggets with Savannah Classics Hush Puppies are a great way to enjoy a classic dinner!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
As we head into the 4th of July weekend, I know around our area the weekend is going to be filled with lots of cookouts and good foods, right? I know it will be at our house!
Growing up, my family always had burgers and hot dogs. The typical cookout foods, nothing too fancy, just the basics. Then, I met my husband and was introduced to the wonderful world of a good old fashioned fish fry. Yep, fish fry! They didn’t have my normal burger and dogs, they had fried fish that was freshly caught along with hush puppies, coleslaw, and all the good fixings of a fish fry.
I decided this year as we celebrate the 4th of July, I would recreate that with Savannah Classics Hush Puppies. These come in a variety of flavors including original, sweet corn filled, and Jalapeño. My family LOVED the sweet corn filled. I knew they would pair wonderfully with catfish nuggets, so I fried up some catfish nuggets to pair alongside them.
I love serving them in these red baskets for the 4th of July. Then, we put them out on our picnic table with our little checkered placemats to feed the family.
These hush puppies are made in the USA in Tennessee, and let’s face it, clearly they know how to make hush puppies because these were gone in minutes around our home.
What does a 4th of July celebration look like at your home? I love hearing about how others celebrate since it’s different for all of us. I love integrating what my husband grew up with along with what I grew up with, it turns into a TON of good food, family, and fun.
Are you ready to Get Pupped? Find out more about Savannah Classics on their Facebook page now and EAT UP!
- 4 6 oz Catfish Fillets
- 1/2 Cup Dry Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Egg Substitute
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Mix the bread crumbs, salt, and lemon pepper in a small bowl. Next in a separate bowl mix the egg substitute and lemon juice.
- Warm up the oil on medium heat in a skillet. At this point, we use 2 Tbsp at a time until we get enough oil, starting with the 2 Tbsp.
- Cut the catfish into small strips, then place each strip into the egg mixture and coat with the breading mixture.
- Place in the oil and fry on both sides until fish is easily flaked with a fork. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Place on a plate with a paper towel to get the excess oil off.
- Repeat until all catfish is fried and serve with dipping sauce.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking