Camping season is the perfect time to make Campfire Hobo Dinner Foil Packets otherwise known as Beef and Potatoes Recipe.
Several years ago, we went camping and I learned what Hobo Dinners were. I had no idea and had never heard of such a thing, but what a brilliant idea especially for cooking over an open flame.
Not only that though, but they are so easy to serve right in the foil packet.
Can you make Hobo Dinner Foil Packets for the oven or grill?
These packets can be made to make in the oven or on the grill too. We make these quite a bit during the summer months and grill them. They are easy to grill taking just about 45 minutes.
I feel like they are such a quick and easy way to get dinner done especially after a long day of summer activities too such as swimming. Who wants to come home after sitting by the pool all day? Not me!
Of course though and open flame is a perfect choice too which is why they are such a great campfire recipe.
Can you make Hobo Foil Packets in advance?
Absolutely, that is one reason why these are such a great choice for camping. These can be made before you ever leave our house. Store them in the cooler or fridge if you are in a camper (the only way I do camping) and then you’ll be ready to cook them for dinner.
What foil should you use for Hobo Foil Packets?
If there is anything that you get out of this post to remember this one thing –
Not all foil is created equally…repeat that a few times.
Be sure that you use a heavy-duty high-quality foil, name-brands are best like Reynolds. There is a HUGE difference between the cheaper versions and the higher cost versions. If you use a cheap version…it will rip almost immediately.
Heavy Duty is absolutely necessary, if all else fails though, double up your foil sheets. That means use twice as much regular foil as you would with heavy-duty.
How do you create a foil packet?
To make the Hobo Dinner Foil Packets, use a square sheet of foil and build the ingredients up in the middle. Basically, layer them on. This will work the same with just about any foil packet recipe that you plan to try.
Once they are in the middle, wrap it up into a small packet. Remember, use heavy-duty foil for this too.
What do you need for Hobo Dinner Foil Packets?
- Ground Beef
- Red Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Garlic Salt
- Fennel Seed
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar
Remember these can also be made with your choice of beef or even chicken too. The key is they need to be cooked until they reach 165 degrees, easy to check with a quick read thermometer.
Now it’s time to go camping. If you enjoy this recipe, you’ll also love this Campfire Blueberry Crisp.
Hobo Dinner Foil Packets
- 2 Cups Red Potatoes Sliced and Halved (About 6 Red Potatoes)
- 2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Green Beans Trimmed
- 1/4 Cup Onion Diced
- 1 Lb Ground Beef Lean
- 1/2 Tbsp Rosemary
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Fennel Seed
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese Optional
- Begin by either warming up the grill or fire to medium-high heat or the oven to 400*.
- Place 4 evenly cut pieces of foil, square-shaped, out on the counter.
- Spray them with the cooking spray.
- Place even amounts of the potatoes, beans, and onion into each foil pack.
- Make 4 round balls out of the ground beef, place one on top of the veggies in each pack.
- Evenly distribute the spices to each foil pack.
- Wrap up and then cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until well done.
- The beef needs to be 165 degrees to be well done.
- Unwrap and serve with cheese if preferred.