There is nothing better during the summer than fresh berries, especially when they are topped over delicious buttermilk pancakes. These Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce are delicious.
It’s almost a given that during the summer, my fridge will always be full of fresh berries. Is yours? They are super affordable during the summer.
This particular week, I received a lot of blueberries, which I thought I could turn into a tasty syrup for our pancakes. This is a very versatile sauce that can be used for french toast, pancakes, ice cream, and more. It’s really up to you. My husband is anxious to use it next time over french toast, which I have to say my mouth is watering just thinking about that.
I decided to whip up a batch of Buttermilk Pancakes to drizzle the Blueberry Sauce over and it was a hit! My son had to have eaten at least 5 pancakes if not more. I lost count at some point, I really don’t think I was warned enough about just how much a boy eats. He blows my mind, but at the same time then if it’s vegetables like peas, he would just pass all together. Kids!
I am hoping we are able to head to pick blueberries this next week, because I have these in mind. It’s been so hot out though, we will see if we can get there or not. The size of them at the berry farm is just amazing, they are just never that size at some of the local retailers in town. There are a few that are, I think many of those stores actually have them come in straight from their farm. That’s a nice perk too!
This sauce is a simple combination of sugar, blueberries, cornstarch, vanilla, and water. It takes just about 10 minutes to prepare then you can set it aside until you have the pancakes made. We like to enjoy these as breakfast for dinner, but they are also delicious for breakfast too paired alongside your morning coffee.
Are you ready for a bite? It’s time to eat up!
Buttermilk Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tsp Baking Powder or Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 2 Cups Blueberries
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Exctract
- To Make Pancakes:
- Combine all ingredients except syrup in a bowl mixing well. Let batter sit for about 30 minutes for fluffier pancakes.
- While the batter is sitting about 10 minutes before you are ready to cook begin to heat the griddle or skillet to medium heat and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Spoon out the batter into about sand dollar size and let it cook on one side until the batter begins to bubble, then flip over and cook until done. This typically just takes 2-3 minutes. It should release fairly easily from the griddle and you can be sure that the bottom is browned.
- Continue until all pancake batter is used.
- Prepare pancakes with blueberry sauce.
To Make Sauce:
- Place the blueberries into a medium-sized saucepan.
- Warm up to medium-high heat.
- Add in the water, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla.
- Let them heat and boil for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Once boiled, remove from the heat and place in a mesh strainer over a bowl. Press the blueberries down with a spoon to strain out the sauce.
- Discard the chunks from the strainer.
- Set the sauce aside until ready to use over the pancakes.