One of my all time favorite ways to eat chicken is this Oven Fried Chicken recipe that my aunt shared with me several years ago. I have since made many variations of this recipe; however, recently I decided to try Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken.
I have found a new love for buttermilk lately and feel like it adds a new element of pure deliciousness to recipes. That just means you may be seeing it a bit more in some of the recipes that I share.
This time I decided to soak the chicken in the buttermilk overnight or you can do it in the mornings. Then, when you get home from work the chicken is well soaked and ready to pop in the oven.
I also made this a bit more crunchy by adding the cornmeal to it too. This chicken was wonderful paired with green beans and potatoes.
Are you ready for a wonderful home cooked meal? Time to eat!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken
- 2 1/2 Pound Broiler- Fryer Chicken Cut
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Cornmeal
- 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- Cooking Spray
- Begin by placing the chicken in a shallow bowl or dish evenly, then pour the buttermilk over the chicken. Let this soak overnight, then in the morning turn the chicken over if it isn't coated on both sides. Let this soak an additional 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- Spray a 13x9x2 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, salt, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Take each piece of chicken and coat the chicken with the flour mixture.
- Shake off the excess.
- Then, place the chicken skin sides down in the baking dish.
- This should cook uncovered for 30 minutes then turn the chicken and cook for additional 30 minutes, cook until well done.