Mix up your breakfast with these Breakfast Enchiladas!
My husband is a great source of recipe inspiration; he is always naming off things that sound good to him in hopes that I’ll create it. It was his lucky day when he mentioned making enchiladas breakfast style.
At first I wasn’t quite sure how that combination would turn out, but then the more I thought about it, the hungrier I became. That led to a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up all that I would need for these Cheesy Breakfast Enchiladas!
These start out as a typical enchilada, but for the filling, I decided to add scrambled eggs, Potatoes O’Brien, and turkey sausage. It was the perfect combination. These can be made with either white corn tortillas or flour tortillas. We decided to go with white corn due to gluten intolerance; however, I am certain my husband would probably prefer flour tortillas.
Once our stuffing was nice and combined, I stuffed it in each enchilada and lined a 9×13 dish with them. I poured a few cans of red enchilada sauce over the entire dish, and then I topped it with cheese.
Once it came out of the oven, it looked and smelled amazing. That melted cheese, those nicely baked corn tortillas just swimming under the enchilada sauce. It was a heavenly sight, friends…heavenly.
One bite led to another and we were all instantly hooked. This will likely be a dish we will soon take to a brunch or share with family for a family breakfast. It can easily be made as breakfast for dinner too!
- 16 Taco Sized White Corn Tortillas
- 1 Lb Ground Turkey Sausage
- 1 Tsp Ground Fennel
- 1 16oz Package Potatoes O’Brien
- 6 Great Day Farms Organic Eggs, Scrambled
- 2 10 Oz Cans of Mild Enchilada Sauce
- 2 Cups Shredded Mexican Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Warm up a skillet on medium high heat, coating with non-stick cooking spray, and brown the sausage. Once the sausage is nearly browned, add in the fennel.
3. Place the sausage on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
4. While the sausage is cooking or once it is complete, prepare the potatoes as instructed on the package.
5. Prepare the eggs if you have not already, scrambling them.
6. In a large bowl combine the sausage, potatoes, and eggs.
7. Once combined, place a small portion of the mixture into each tortilla and place into a greased 9x13 baking dish. (Note: Be sure to warm up the corn tortillas for about 30 seconds to make them more pliable before rolling them.)
8. Roll up each filled tortilla and place seam side down into the dish.
9. Once they are all complete, evenly pour the enchilada sauce over the tortillas and evenly sprinkle the cheese.
10. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
Note: These can be made with flour tortillas as well.
Next time, I may even get a bit more creative with the filling, adding even more delicious breakfast foods… maybe even some crumbled bacon? What do you plan to put into your breakfast enchiladas? Share it with us!
We like to serve ours as breakfast for dinner, they make for a great way to mix up a traditional enchilada. Have you tried some yet?
Enjoy!We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.