Add a sweet side dish to your next dinner with easily baked candied yams!
Baked Candied Yams are the perfect naturally gluten-free side dish to add to any holiday dinner or simply a weeknight family dinner.
These yams are coated with a sugar syrup that just makes them melt right in your mouth.
Can you use sweet potatoes?
While yams and sweet potatoes often look very similar they do have a slightly different taste.
Sweet Potatoes tend to be sweeter than yams and they are grown in different parts of the world than where yams are grown.
Yams are much more similar to regular potatoes in taste and texture.
In saying this though, this recipe will work with both yams and sweet potatoes. If you use sweet potatoes, it may just come out a bit sweeter than if you used yams.
Tips for Making Baked Candied Yams:
Baked Candied Yams are easy to make using a few simple ingredients.
This will be made with butter, sugar, and a few spices along with your yams or sweet potatoes.
The sauce will be made in a saucepan on the stovetop, then the entire dish will be baked in the oven for about 40 minutes.
This recipe is also naturally gluten-free too, making it a great versatile side dish.
When making the syrup or sauce to go over the yams, orange juice is used. If your sauce is a bit thicker than what you prefer, you can add additional orange juice to thin it out.
This dish can be garnished with fresh parsley and pecans or marshmallows on top. Then, we serve it as a side dish for holiday dinners or it’s a great side dish for your weekly dinner night.
If you enjoy this recipe be sure to check out these Ninja Foodi Sweet Potatoes too!
Baked Candied Yams
- 3 Pounds Yams or Sweet Potatoes (Peeled and Sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices.)
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar (Packed)
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice (See Note)
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Spray a 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly lay the peeled and sliced sweet potatoes or yams into the baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, add butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and orange juice until well combined.
- Evenly pour over the yams and stir gently to coat them evenly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until they are tender.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking
Leave A Reply!