Enjoy the the best recipe for apple crisp with this Easy Gluten-Free Baked Apple Crisp, using Honeycrisp apples!
When it comes to desserts, this delicious apple crisp is at the top of my list. It’s the perfect recipe to use after a day of apple picking when you come home with Honeycrisp apples.
This is one of the easiest desserts and even better is that you can change a few ingredients to make this gluten-free too.
How do you make a gluten-free apple crisp?
A few ingredients are needed to make this gluten-free, that includes gluten-free all-purpose flour.
This needs to be a 1:1 ratio meaning it can evenly be swapped from regular flour. We typically use King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or Better Batter All-Purpose Flour. A few others that can be used are Cup 4 Cup and Bob’s Red Mill.
The next thing to swap is the oats, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats. Bob’s Red Mill carries these as well as a few other brands. They can be found at your local grocery store or Walmart.
Those are the only two swaps needed, but as always be sure to check all ingredients before proceeding.
What type of apples should you use for this delicious apple crisp?
There are a variety of apples, but there are a few that end up being the best baking apples.
A few types of apples tend to handle high heat better than others. The best apples to use for this recipe will be Honeycrisp or Granny Smith. Each of these is a firm apple that when heated becomes tender making it nice tender apples, which are easy to eat in a crisp.
Red Delicious and Golden Delicious are a tender apple as well but they are better for sauces than they are for crisp.
For the images you see in this post, Honeycrisp apples were used and are our go-to for this recipe.
I also do not always peel the apples, this is totally up to you. If prefer to peel them, this apple peeler will be your new best friend!
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Baked Apple Crisp Recipe:
This crisp can be made in a 9×13 baking dish or a cast iron skillet. The first step will be to evenly place the apples in the baking dish.
Using a small bowl the granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg will be well mixed and then evenly sprinkled on top of the apples.
After this add a bit of water over the entire dish and then move on to making the crumble topping.
The crisp topping consists of gluten-free old-fashioned oats, gluten-free flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and softened butter.
The topping will turn into a crumble topping that can evenly be spread on top of the apples.
Once done, bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes.
When you’re ready to serve, this is served wonderfully with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
How do you store Easy Gluten Free Apple Crisp?
The leftover apple crisp can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
When ready to reheat, place a portion on a microwave-safe dish and heat for 1-2 minutes. Finish it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
More Fruit Crisps Recipes:
This easy apple crisp is the perfect choice for a delicious recipe using simple ingredients along with your favorite apples. I have no doubt this will end up being one of your favorite desserts!
Baked Apple Crisp
- 3 Pounds Honeycrisp Apples Thinly Sliced (Leave the peels on half of the apples)
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Additional Ground Cinnamon and Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Gluten-Free Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 Cup Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Butter Softened
- Vanilla Ice Cream Optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, place the apples evenly on the bottom of the dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg. Then, place this mixture evenly over the apples.
- Pour in the water.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon and nutmeg over it to give it more flavor, about a teaspoon.
- In another bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Then, mix in the butter.
- This mixture should be very crumbly but be sure that the butter is mixed in well.
- Evenly crumble the mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are nice and soft at 350°F. Serve warm with a side of vanilla ice cream.