As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
This American Flag Cookie Cake with Fruit is so simple to make and easy to make gluten-free too!
Get ready to make a delicious, festive dessert for your next gathering or outdoor cookout. This American Flag Cookie Cake with Fruit is the perfect go-to dessert idea!
The best part for us is you can make it gluten-free too, but don’t worry because you do not have to if that is not a need!
Tips for Making the American Flag Cookie Cake with Fruit:
I was going for a sugar cookie style crust, basically one huge sugar cookie. The one thing I learned the hard way with cookie cakes is that you generally need to bake them about 20 minutes as opposed to 8-10 minutes because if not the middle will not be fully cooked.
That means your cake will fall to pieces…trust me, I know.
I made one batch of the cookie recipe then I just spread it out in the shape of a flag, remember it will grow a bit in the oven.
Shape the cookie batter into a rectangle, when it comes out of the oven and cools you can easily trim it if needed.
Another important tip is to let it fully cool before you start frosting. It can even be chilled in the fridge if you prefer too.
Next, you can frost it with a whipped topping similar to Cool Whip, frost the entire cookie cake.
Then, simply slice and top it with strawberries and blueberries. It doesn’t have to be exact to the flag unless you want it to be otherwise, we will all get a general idea.
How do you make this American Flag Cookie Cake with Fruit gluten-free?
The only thing you need to do in order to make this gluten-free is to swap out the flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour. I use Better Batter to make this gluten-free.
It can be done though with your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour.
Now are you ready for a delicious cookie cake, it’s time to make this festive and delicious dessert!
Check out even more Gluten-Free Desserts!
- 2 1/4 Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour or Regular Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Butter, Softened
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cartons Cool Whip or Whipped Topping
- 2 Cups Strawberries, Sliced
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Combine all cookie ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract) in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer.
- Spray a half sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment.
- Using a spatula spread out the cookie dough in about 1/2 inch - 1 inch thick in the shape of a flag (rectangle shape).
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the middle is almost done.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- Once it is cool, trim off the edges to make it even.
- Then, frost the entire cookie with the Whipped Topping.
- Next, use the berries to decorate it in the design you would like.
- Keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 221mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g