Thank you Mardi Gras Napkins for sponsoring this post. Learn more about Mardi Gras Conversation Starter Napkins here and grab your coupon today!
Make mealtime fun for the whole family with these tips!
Does your family sit around the table to eat meals? As a kid growing up, we never did but our neighbors did and I remember longing for that. It wasn’t that we didn’t love each other, we definitely have a close family but my parents worked opposite shifts so it was often nearly impossible for all of us to be home at the same time. Of course, we also grew up in a generation where more and more families were eating in front of the TV rather then in front of each other.
Today, we have another shift, now many are eating with an electronic device in hand instead of focusing on those around them. It’s true, isn’t it? I know I’m guilty of it too!
When my husband and I got married though, he knew it was a big deal to me to have dinner around the table as a family throughout the week. We have stuck to that too, it doesn’t happen every single day, but we make it an intentional part of our week to sit down together a few times a week for dinner. We also typically have a family breakfast every Saturday morning too. That happens to be my favorite time of the week.
Last year, our son made a little jar with all sorts of conversation cards in it that we use at dinner time. We each go around and pick one that has a question on it to help start conversations with each other. It’s really a neat idea and something we have continued doing. That is what made me so excited to share with you about Mardi Gras Napkins.
What makes these so special?
They have conversation starters on each napkin! That means, that every time you sit down to eat, all you have to do is look at your napkin and you have a question to ask around the table that evening. Our kids sure got a kick out of these, my son especially. He could not wait to have dinner to start asking questions. They are so fun to look at all the designs too. It truly is a way to wipe away the boredom and bring some fun back to the dinner table. I also find it helps me specifically to not talk about work and start digging a little deeper into the fun things that happen during the day. They also help to ignite some spontaneous conversations that may come out of that little question on the napkin.
Not only have we enjoyed the conversations, but we have also been working on helping our daughter learn to set the table. She happens to love it which works out well. As soon as dinner is near, she is right under me asking for the plates and things to start setting the table.
Here are a few tips for family mealtime.
- Don’t Expect Perfection – Remember kids are learning, it won’t always be perfect.
- Try Family Style – We often do family style, where we set all the food on the table and then the kids will serve it to each person. It not only teaches them about table setting but also about serving others too.
- Use Conversation Starters – The biggest reason to enjoy family dinner is to talk to each other, be sure to use conversation starts if needed or Mardi Gras Napkins to ignite conversation. This helps the kids learn to converse too. Be sure to grab a coupon.
- Mix Up the Meals – Be sure to mix up the meals too, maybe one night you can let each kid choose what will be on the menu? Make mealtime fun for them and less exhausting for you!
- Intentional Family Mealtime – Make it a point to carve out a few nights a week or even mornings to eat around the table together, without electronics or distractions.
These are just a few tips to getting started in bringing some fun into mealtime plus getting back around the table again.
Now, be sure to head on over to Mardi Gras Napkins and grab a COUPON so you can have a fun conversation at dinner tonight too!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Leave A Reply!