As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.
After 10 years of having our dog, May, we are finally branching out and bringing home a new puppy. Today, I’m going to share with you 5 Must Haves for a New Puppy.
We first brought home our dog May when she was only 9 weeks old. Now, she’s over 10 years old and we are finally about to embark on a new journey with a new lab mix. We decided now is a great time for a new puppy since our kids are getting older and are excited to help raise this puppy. I think they are just as excited as I am. We’ve already went and purchased a lot of new things for the puppy and currently they are fighting over whose room she will sleep in, although I’ll be crate training her so they may be disappointed. I’m sure she can nap or something with them though.
My husband and I were thinking about when this puppy is the age of May, our son will be graduating high school and our daughter will be entering high school. It doesn’t seem like it’s been 10 years since we got her, but really so much has changed over that decade. We went from her being our only baby to two kids and two moves as well, not to mention job changes. Of course, other things that have changed are dog food and products. The food industry in general has completely transformed from when we first got her. Now, there is high quality dog food and snacks that are not full of fillers!
Just in time to welcome our new puppy, Milk-Bone has introduced their latest treat, Milk-Bone Farmer’s Medley Whole Grain Recipe and Milk-Bone Farmer’s Medley Grain Free Recipe. Our dog, May didn’t mind which one she got, she loved them all! We decided to pick up the Grain Free with Turkey & Pumpkin Biscuits and Whole Grain Recipe with Beef Biscuits. I showed our kids just how well she does tricks for treats because we trained her years ago, they were completely impressed. I have to say I was impressed too because normally she listens mostly to my husband but she did all the commands I said as well. I’m anxious to start training our new puppy too, this time getting the kids involved in it.
The Milk-Bone Farmer’s Medley does not contain fillers, corn, artificial preservatives or flavors; it’s all high quality ingredients. They can all be found at Walmart, plus you can grab a great deal right now on ibotta as well, earning $2!
Now as we prepare for our new puppy, I thought I’d share a few must haves for the new puppy.
5 Must Haves for the New Puppy
- Crate – If you plan to crate train, which I highly suggest, then be sure to get a good crate that your dog can feel right at home in. Sometimes it’s nice to put a blanket in it or pillow; however, remember that many times puppies will shred these things too.
- Collar, Leash, Tag – Be sure to get the necessities like a collar, leash, and tag. Be sure to get a tag for your dog. I would suggest this even if you microchip for quick identification.
- Food Bowls & Food – Be sure to purchase a high quality food that is made for puppy plus a great bowl too. I’ve grown fond of the puzzle feeder bowls that help the puppy not overeat.
- High Quality Dog Treats – Be sure to stock up on high quality dog treats like Milk-Bone Farmer’s Medley. These are great for a reward as well while training your puppy.
- Toys – Puppies need lots of toys because they love to chew and trust me, you’ll want plenty of chew toys instead of your shoes!
Now, are you planning to get a new puppy soon? We are so excited about our new puppy, Callie. She will be fitting right in and we are ready!